New Delhi (India)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implementation of operational and financial management strategies
- Projects’ budget management and organization of the cost-recovery system
- Control of CO accounts
- Control of CO cash management
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- HACT Implementation
- Full compliance of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and audit follow up with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system.
- CO Finance business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance, control of the workflows in the Finance Unit.
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development and management projects.
- Elaboration of the framework and conditions of contributions within the CO resources mobilization efforts.
- Elaboration and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies.
- Quality control of CO requests and supporting documents submitted to GSSU
- Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigates anomalies or unusual transactions. Informs supervisors and other UNDP staff at Headquarters of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Financial resources management through planning, guiding, controlling of the resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Preparation and monitoring of budgets of management projects.
- Establishment of the development projects’ budgets preparation/modification monitoring system, control of budgetary status versus authorized spending limits (ASL) and budgets delivery levels.
- Sending project budget to KK if authorized by the Senior Management (can be done only on the basis of signed prodocs and project budgets).
- Regular reporting on the budget approvals and the delivery situation of development and management projects;
- Elaboration of proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management.
- Preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by UNDP.
- Submission of financial reports to donors on a timely and quality basis
- Elaboration of the internal expenditures’ control system which ensures that documentation submitted to GSSU for processing is in line with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Manager level 1 in Atlas.
- Control of accounts closure
- Timely response to HQ/GSSU requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Control of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and maintenance of the General Ledger.
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and submission of receipts to GSSU for income application;
- Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and record of contributions.
- Primary contact with local bank management on routine operational matters including negotiation of exchange rate on replenishments.
- Member of bank signatory panel.
- Timely and accurate submission of bank statements to GSSU for B2B reconciliation;
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals, selecting bank transfers and deals for approval and settlement.
- Timely preparation of monthly cashflow forecast for use by Operations Manager. Liaison with UN Agencies to obtain estimate of their cash requirements.
- Role as cashier for cash disbursements made on site.
- Ensure macro- assessment and Timely micro-assessment as per corporate thresholds
- Develop CO Assurance plan under guidance of supervisor and ensure implementation
- Organization/conduct of training for the operations/programme/projects staff on financial management and RBM.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
- Develops awareness of the various internal/external learning and knowledge-sharing resources
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets; manage contributions and investments; manage transactions; and conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery.
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates the same in his/her work
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to diagnose problems and identifies and communicates processes to support change initiatives
- Make recommendations relative to work-processing approaches and procedures which would lead to more efficient systems design
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
Level 1.2: Basic monitoring
- Gathers, analyzes and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Finance/Accounting, Business, or Public Administration, from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy. Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
UNDP Advanced Accountancy & Finance Test required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: New Delhi (India)
- Grade: NO-B, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Junior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Banking and Finance
- Closing Date: 2018-09-18