Finance Officer/ Administration Officer - Service Contract- Equivalent to NOA
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This position is based in WFP’s Barbados Office for Caribbean Preparedness and Response, leading the Finance and Administration function. The WFP Barbados Office is a new office designed to implement a sub-regional emergency preparedness and response capacity-strengthening programme. The job holder will have a Finance/Admin Officer profile and will report to the Head of the Office with technical support from the Finance Unit in the WFP Regional Bureau for Latin America and the Caribbean, based in Panama.
To support the stewardship of WFP’s resources, monitoring budgets, forecasting, reporting on key data and providing basic administrative and human resource functions that enable effective management of funds, and ensure assistance is undertaken in the most efficient and effective way possible. To support the delivery of quality, customer-focused, value for money administrative services that enable staff in country/location operations to deliver food assistance to beneficiaries, in line with WFP’s strategy. These will be done with support from the WFP Regional Bureau in Panama and in coordiation with United Nations partners in Barbados.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Maintain awareness of corporate finance and resource management strategies and major ongoing programmatic initiatives, participating where appropriate using finance and resource management expertise..
2. Report on key data for financial status and outcomes of projects in accordance with corporate governance requirements, ensuring accuracy, deadlines, and accounting processes are complied with.
3. Monitor budgets, and carry out forecasting for new and ongoing projects according to established corporate procedures and requirements.
4. Perform bank reconciliations, disbursements, clearance of receivables, overall cash management and monthly financial closures on a regular basis in accordance with corporate requirements.
5. Deliver core administrative services, working with contractors and following standard processes to provide cost-effective, quality and timely services to WFP staff.
6. Undertake basic human resource functions related to staff benefits, recruitment of local staff, and training.
7. Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, providing management with financial, staffing and resource usage information to enable them to make informed decisions.
8. Track and collate data to support others to improve policies, systems and procedures in order to minimise financial risks, improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations, and ensure services are aligned with business objectives.
9. Contribute to the delivery of financial controls and insight into WFP performance, supporting periodic risk and internal control assessments to identify areas which may present potential audit, compliance or financial risks.
10. Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
11. Represent unit/CO at internal meetings, external meetings and events with other UN agencies, banks and other financial institutions, or other partners and entities as required.
12. Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
13. Support the development of annual plans and implementation of policies, systems and procedures to support WFP strategic objectives.
14. Support management of existing resources in the area of responsibility (e.g. WFP managed facilities, assests and travel management, etc.) and assist in identification of new requirements aiming at efficiency, cost-effectivness and timeliness of operations and services.
15. Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, or related fields, or First University degree in the same subject(s) with additional years of related work experience plus membership in an international recognized professional accountancy body such as Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Certified Public Accounts (ICPA) or equivalent.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Internal Controls & Compliance
Utilizes understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance and ensure data integrity.
Performance Budgeting, Reporting & Analysis
Analyzes budgets and forecasts to support the development of recommendations for senior leadership on financial and business planning matters in accordance with Value for Money principles.
(People, time, assets, etc.)
Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders.
Financial Management & Accounting Principles
Applies knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices to ensure compliance with WFP policies, applicable procedures and accounting standards.
Supply Chain and Operations Knowledge
Applies working knowledge of WFP programme and supply chain principles to develop and/or review project budget plans.
Proactively monitors performance and delivers high quality service to meet the needs of customers, requesting customer feedback and taking ownership of customer problems that arise. Pre-empts needs of customers based on experience.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has performed comprehensive financial analyses at a national and/or operational level.
- Has experience managing financial transactions.
- Has working knowledge/familiarity of SAP or other enterprise resource planning systems.
- Has gained experience in administration.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Position: Finance Officer/ Administration Officer - Emergency Preparedness and Response
Unit: Barbados Office
Based in: Barbados
Type of Contract: Service Contract (SC) Equivalent to NOA
Duration: 12 Months, with possibility of extension
Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Only short-listed qualified candidates will receive an acknowledgement.
This vacancy is available only to citizens of Barbados and OESC residents
Selected candidate will be employed on a Service Contract (SC)
* The Service contract holder is considered WFP personnel and is not governed by UN Staff Rules and Regulations. This contract does not carry any expectancy of renewal.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Apply by 17 September 2018
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Organization: UN WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Bridgetown (Barbados)
- Grade: SB-4, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Banking and Finance
- Closing Date: 2018-09-18