Senior Surveillance and M&E Specialist, Freetown Sierra Leone
Sierra Leone (Sierra Leone)
FHI 360 seeks a Senior Surveillance and M&E Specialist for an anticipated The Fleming Fund Country Grant for Sierra Leone-Tackling Antimicrobial Resistance in Sierra Leone. The Country Grant will address critical gaps in surveillance of antibiotic resistant bacteria in Sierra Leone. This grant will support implementation of national plans for antimicrobial resistance (AMR) surveillance, and will focus on selected number of AMR surveillance sites. We will work closely with local entities that are already involved in AMR surveillance, AMR/AMU oversight and improvement activities, local and national Technical Working Groups and national and regional reference laboratories for human and animal health, participating AMR/AMU surveillance sites, and other government and national and international non-government stakeholders, and UN agencies as well as Mott MacDonald, The Fleming Fund Management Agent.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
This position will be responsible for oversight of activities related to strengthening the capacity and systems for AMR/AMU surveillance in humans and animals. This position is based in Freetown with frequent field visits (50 percent or more) in different parts of Sierra Leone. Specific responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Provide technical leadership in design, planning, implementation, monitoring, data analysis, report preparation and sharing of AMR/AMU surveillance in humans and animals.
- Provide technical assistance to reference and regional animal and human health laboratories and AMR/AMU surveillance sites to collect, refine and analyze the AMR/AMU surveillance data.
- Share the findings including AMR/AMU trends to national stakeholders and One Health and AMR/AMU TWG quarterly and annually.
- Provide technical leadership in mapping of distribution pathways of antibiotics in humans and animals.
- Conduct supportive supervision and monitoring of, and onsite coaching and mentoring to national and regional human and animal laboratories and AMR/AMU surveillance sites.
- Provide technical support and guidance to the project team on surveillance and M&E-related activities.
- Provide technical assistance to prepare and submit AMR/AMU-related data and report as per the national, regional and global standard and requirements.
- Master’s degree in Public Health or other relevant subjects and three years’ experience or a Bachelor degree in Public Health or other relevant subjects and five years’ experience in managing and conducting epidemiological and/or social scientific research and surveillance in public health
- Experience in standard statistical methods/tools in research and with quantitative and qualitative research method
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation, data analysis and use in public health
- Strong negotiation, coordination, communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in English (spoken, written, typing)
- Knowledge and experience of AMR/AMU and disease surveillance and other relevant health programs
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the ethical issues surrounding research and surveillance
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
How to Apply:
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Organization: FHI 360 - Family Health International
- Location: Sierra Leone (Sierra Leone)
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: 2018-10-06