Hybrid Cloud Engineer
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and Communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs).
DFS has implemented a range of systems to address the principal requirements of peacekeeping operations and to support and enhance the processes DFS undertakes.
UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity.
The Hybrid Cloud Engineer will carry out his/her tasks within the Platform Support Unit in the Field Technology Service (FTS) at the UN ICT Facility, Valencia (UNICTFV). Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent works under the guidance of the Chief Infrastructure and Operations Section at the UN ICT Facility, Valencia (UNICTFV), provides specific expertise in the implementation and operation of the UN Hybrid Cloud strategy for the back end infrastructure including: storage arrays, SAN switches, processing cloud services and tools to monitor performance, availability and capacity of the hybrid environment.
The Hybrid Cloud Engineer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Function as the technical expert in cloud services, storage systems implementation, systems upgrade and systems integration.
- Function as technical resource for Hybrid Cloud implementation, particularly in the area of cloud storage as per organization’s strategy. Analyze requests for new resources and provide advice to higher management.
- Monitor Storage Systems operations and verify systems availability. Interact with network engineers and systems engineers to proactively facilitate integration of storage array systems into enterprise ICT infrastructure.
- Perform tasks related to storage provisioning and host integration following organization’s Hybrid Cloud strategy.
- Function as 2nd tier support for analyzing, troubleshooting and implementing solutions related to cloud services, storage technical problems.
- Function as a technical resource in cloud services, storage system support for services continuity solution implementation and provide efficient data recovery capability in case of disaster.
- Perform technical evaluation of product and systems related to cloud services, storage infrastructure and continuity solutions.
- Actively involve with third parties engaged in cloud services, storage infrastructure projects to ensure acceptable quality of service delivery and, prevent information security incidents.
- Perform the functions of systems backup and recovery administrator, and data replication process owner.
- Propose efficient, resilient and reliable data replication solution from UN Missions to UNGSC.
- Propose a highly available storage and backup environment to eliminate single points of failure.
- Implement data storage management guidelines, policies, standards, procedures and other documentations for DPKO and DFS field missions.
- Responsible for keeping track of existing storage usage and making recommendation for optimization and efficiencies.
- Support regular maintenance of operational resilience (OR) plans and conduct periodic exercises to verify OR readiness.
- Provide necessary training and support missions in storage management, backup and restore operation, as required.
- Define technical specifications and assist with capacity planning and budget estimates for cloud services and storage equipment.
- Perform tasks associated with DPKO and United Nations operations as authorized.
- Supervise Hybrid Cloud technicians and assess their performance on a regular basis.
- Build capacity through on-the-job training or formal training.
- Ensure all procedures in handling storage and backup tasks are documented by staff.
- Assign duty officer, focal points in various DRX and projects, and backstops.
- Perform other duties as required.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and those of UNOPS
Impact of Results
The result of work of the Hybrid Cloud Engineer impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DFS/DPKO field missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) preferably in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics, or relevant field. A first level University degree in a relevant field with two additional years of relevant experience may be considered in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Certifications:• Foundation certification in ITIL Service management is required.
• Foundation Certification in Projects in Controlled Environments (PRINCE2) is desired.
• EMC storage management related certifications and trainings are desired.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in providing engineering support for IT systems, preferably in large data centres with experience in Operating systems Windows 2008/2012 and Linux.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a process-oriented service support and delivery environment.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in managing technical teams of at least 10 team members.
- Desirable experience in enterprise storage infrastructure (EMC VNX, Unity, XtremIO, Isilon, HP 3Par Storage or similar) and layered software that supports high availability, data safety, as well as storage manipulations (EMC Recover Point, Snap view, SRDF, SAN Copy, among other).
- Desirable experience with backup and recovery solutions (based on EMC NetWorker, EMC Avamar, Netbackup or similar) and data replication architecture and products.
- Desirable at least 5 years’ experience in managing large scale hybrid cloud in enterprise environment.
- English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this job opening, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: P3
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability'
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Valencia (Spain)
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: 2018-09-19