Protection Monitors - Beqaa (3 positions)
Lebanon (Lebanon) | Beqaa
Requisition ID: req2617
Job Title: Protection Monitors - Beqaa (3 positions)
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Protection Monitor the Protection Monitor will be responsible for monitoring protection concerns (rights violations, discrimination, and exclusion) among the refugee population in targeted areas of Lebanon in a manner that protects the safety, confidentiality and dignity of the refugee and host communities. Monitoring activities will lead to 1) an increased understanding of the protective environment, including essential demographic data, vulnerability mapping, available services, and existing gaps impacting the refugee and host populations, and 2) sharable reports detailing needed actions by all actors (IRC, humanitarian, and government) to address protection concerns/gaps and contribute to referral mechanisms for specialized services.
The Protection Monitor will work in coordination with the reporting officer and Information Officer to ensure that monitoring data is used in information materials and campaigns. Protection Monitors will also be responsible for gathering data on available services and supporting the Information Officer to refer persons of concern to required services.
Protection Monitors will receive technical guidance and support from the Senior Protection Manager and respond to questions and requests for additional information on submitted protection data on a weekly basis.
- Conduct Mobile Field Visits 4-5 times per week to villages, urban areas, and informal settlements/tent clusters to meet with persons of concern within the community and identify individuals at risk and humanitarian needs according to monthly work plan.
- Utilize digital data collection system based on smart-phone handsets for data collection and uploading; participates in training in the digital system, data cleaning, and regular debrief and supervision of digital data collection activities.
- Directly upload protection data to produce a clear, protection focused report and translate and follow-up on red flag protection-related issues;
- Analyze data and highlight trends and protection needs in reporting to the Protection Team Leader, Reporting Officer and Information Officer.
- Under the guidance of direct supervisor, facilitate one-on-one interviews and focus group discussions with refugees, host community members, state actors and service providers in the field on selected protection concerns.
- Conduct spot observation in areas where refugees are housed or clustered for inclusion in protection monitoring, using qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Work to identify and support community focal points/settlement representatives to participate in ongoing monitoring activities and follow-up.
- Keep records through the digital system of the urgent protection needs identified and the actions taken to assist affected PoCs.
- Work to strengthen IRC’s relationship with refugees, refugee/host community leaders and municipal actors in order to maintain good access to POCs.
- Supports Information Officer, Protection Team Leader and Protection and Information Manager to conduct advocacy on behalf of the community.
- Conducts other duties as assigned by supervisor
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Senior Protection Monitor (North Bekaa)
- Position directly supervises: NA
- Indirect Reporting: NA
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Information Officer, Reporting Officer, Legal Team, Case management team, Community Engagement Officer, Outreach Volunteers
- A bachelor degree
- At least two years’ experience in an NGO, preferably in social work or sociological research.
- Belief in human rights including gender equality.
- Good communication skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships with new communities.
- High standard of spoken and written Arabic and English, ability to translate desirable
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word and excel
- Experience in regular report writing.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment.
Working Environment: located in North Bekaa, the position will involve travel all around North Bekaa (Baalbek and Hermel Governorate) mainly in Baalbek area as security conditions permit
- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Location: Lebanon (Lebanon) | Beqaa
- Grade: Junior - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: