Finance and Administration Officer (National Position)
Nimule | South Sudan
Cordaid is a Dutch, international non-governmental organization which combines 100 years of experience and expertise in emergency aid and structural poverty eradication. Cordaid believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for a just and sustainable society where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion tear up societies, we connect people and communities. We also stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders, to make a difference where it is most needed. Together with more than 600 partner organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America we structurally improve the living conditions of the poorest and most excluded populations - the bottom billion.
Cordaid has been active in South Sudan for more than 20 years, with a strong focus on civil society capacity-building. Currently, it has programs in the area of Emergency Response, DRR, Health, Food Security, Security & Justice, Women Leadership and Investments.
Presently, Cordaid is expanding its program in different parts of the country. For that purpose, additional technical capacity is required. Therefore, Cordaid would like to a Finance and Administration Officer as detailed below,
Finance and Administration Officer
Based in Nimule
The Finance and Administration Officer reports to the Hospital Coordinator based in Numile.
S/he receives technical advice from the Finance Manager based at Juba Office.
Purpose of the Position
To ensure that an effective cash management and bookkeeping systems are in place and that transactions are entered accurately and promptly, and are updated in the financial records. The Finance and Administration Officer compile budgets, cash forecast and expenditure reports for submission to the Juba Office.
Responsibilities and accountability
- Scrutinize all invoices/documents submitted for payment, and other financial transactions, and verify that they are adequate and relevant before submitting for approval. (Invoices with insufficient documentation are returned to the vendor/initiator for regularizing).
- Verify, upon receipt of the payment request, that purchase requests are accompanied by an invoice accordingly. That is, match invoices to statements and purchase orders to invoices received for transactions
- Ensure that an acknowledgement of receipt is annotated in the physical invoice register to indicate the date of receipt and that both the invoice and the purchase order was received for payment
- Prepare and submit the Field Duty Office work advance request with full budget of the office requirements and proposed payments. Ensure to submit the acquittals as per the required instructions.
- Ensure to liaise with the Juba Office to follow-up and track the work advance approval and the cash Transit to the field.
- Submit accurate weekly reports on the status of cash balance to the Program Manager and submit forecast in accordance with Cordaid procedures and arrange for replenishing as approved by the Finance Manager to be transmitted from the Juba Office.
- Maintain a minimum cash balance as per the standing instruction and ensure that the contingency cash is maintained and the security of funds is adhered to.
- Ensure that the cash payment request is duly signed by the authorized signatories, and with proper justification, documentation attached, before disbursement.
- Prioritize and manage the requests for payment to be paid by cash. Forward and advise the cash holder to make payment when the document is complete duly signed for approval.
- Record the cash received from the Courier Agents and manage petty cash transactions, reconcile and update the cash book daily. Submit the monthly cashbook report and supervisor’s weekly cash counts and checks to Juba Office for audit.
- Acknowledge receipt of work advance request and acquittals from the field staff and forward to the Program Manager for verification, further authorization and updating the work advance register. All pending advance payment acquittals must be reported to the Human Resources Manager Each Month by the 10th .
- Accurately capture all cash and bank payments into the accounting system (dedicated Atlas Spread Sheet) provided by Finance Juba Office and journals into the accounting database. Ensure all financial transactions are booked to the correct budget line and program codes. (Bookkeeping)
- Ensure to apply the basic accounting principles, knowledge, and techniques to analyze variances, assist in production of journals, and perform routine accounting activities. (Output of AX).
- Confirm completeness and readiness of batch uploading and transmitting to the Head Office by submitting the captured physical vouchers for review by the Finance and Administration Officer.
- Ensure that all processed and paid financial documents and vouchers are stamped with a paid stamp and recording number indicated for further synchronizing with the accounting system and ease of reference when retrieving documents from the filing system.
- Manage the documentation filing system in the department and ensure that all transactions documents are filed chronologically as per the order of the recordings. Ensure to develop a document archiving and retrieval system to manage document movement, tracking and accountability. On periodic bases submit the documents to the Juba Office for audit and archiving.
- Attend to all financial external and internal queries and enquiries on cash payments and documentation. Ensure that all enquiries and complains submission are recorded and discuss with the Program Manager for further action and process – submit the same to the Finance Manager and the Human Resources Manager for the record and follow-up accordingly.
- Participate in the report and budget preparation by consolidating and submitting relevant information as and when it is required.
- Continuously participate to improve the financial system and procedures to enhance internal controls to satisfy audit requirements
- Perform accounting computations and calculations accurately, and try to identify if there are discrepancies, and advise on errors and address them in collaboration with the Finance Manager.
- Attend to any other duty as directed and instructed by the line Manager.
- Facilitate the timely processing of visa extension and alien registration. Ensure that standard compliance is maintained at all times. Update and check the validity of the documents and renew as per instruction. Submit to the Human Resources Manager the status reports.
- Take charge to set up and coordinate the team meeting and submit minutes and follow-up on actions. Share the duly signed minutes with the Human Resources Manager for follow-up on the administrative support requested and required.
- Liaise with the Program Manager and update the Human Resources Manager on staff issues and welfare as and when required.
- Follow-up on individually filled in and approved time sheets from the staff in the field and forward as a batch to the Human Resources Manager as per set deadlines per month.
- In the absence of the Human Resource Manager – as directed and guided to provide secretarial duties in the recruitment of the approved processes and positions in the field
- Ensure to supervise the office cleaner, the driver and have the office supplies replenished as and when required.
- Give support to the field staff in administrative and logistics activities which include the coordination of external meeting and documental arrangements such as printing and photocopying.
- Attend to any other duties as directed by the line manager.
Qualifications and skills
- University Degree in Accounting, Finance / Business Administration.
- Minimum of 3 years work experience with INGO financials, preferably, in South Sudan
- Must be honest and hardworking with a sense of responsibility.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Capable of multi-tasking and working in a team.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to record financial information accurately.
- Excellent computing skills, use of accounting software, excel, and word.
- Proficient and working knowledge of accounting systems
Further information and how to apply
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter including a CV in English, copies of birth certificate, National ID and qualification documents, both phone and email contact details of at least 4 professional references, including most recent/current employer/supervisor to the following email email@example.com
Mention the vacancy reference number in subject line.
e.g. CSS11/09/18 Finance and Administration Officer - Nimule
Deadline for submission is by the 28 September 2018
Cordaid is an equal opportunities employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Organization: Cordaid - Catholic Organisation for Relief and Development Aid
- Location: Nimule | South Sudan
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Operations and Administrations
- Banking and Finance
- Closing Date: 2018-09-28