Amman (Jordan) | Jordan
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2012, responding to the acute needs of conflict affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governorate, in close coordination with local partners and local councils. The program has a heavy focus on Food Security, WASH and Emergency response and a growing reliance on cash and voucher modalities. GOAL’s Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Department is divided into two main divisions: Monitoring, Evaluation and learning (MEL) and Accountability. The Accountability Coordinator will be responsible for the latter division and will lead a team that is responsible for operating GOAL’s complaints and response mechanisms; maintaining, updating and verifying beneficiary lists; and compiling and checking programmatic data on distributions and commodities.
Overview of the role
The Accountability Coordinator will provide leadership and technical expertise to ensure that GOAL’s Accountability system is implemented effectively. S/he will be the focal point in the programme for all aspects of Accountability. A key part of the role will be capacity building and remote support to the Accountability team inside Syria, as well as for GOAL’s partner organizations. Advocating for accountable programmes will be key to this role which should ensure evidence-based programming and donor compliance in a remote management context.
Leadership and Management
- Oversee the activities of GOAL’s Accountability team in Syria, which includes Complaints and Response and Data Entry and Verification providing technical support and oversight.
- Support the development of job descriptions, management structures and performance management, alongside the Field MEAL Coordinator based in Syria.
- Oversee the Accountability budget, ensuring appropriate grant budgets are developed and spending is in line with those budgets.
- Provide capacity building, technical support and training to the Accountability team based in Syria as well as the Programmes team and GOAL’s local partners on all areas of Accountability
- Provide technical support to GOAL’s local partners to develop and manage Complaints and Response Mechanisms (CRM)
- Work with partners to conduct verification processes in line with GOAL Syria’s guidelines on same
- In close coordinator with GOAL’s Partnership Organizational Development Advisor, develop and monitor partner work plans to implement accountability processes
Support to Program Quality
- Feed into the overall programme strategy, providing data and analysis as required for strategic purposes and new programme design, including proposal development
- Ensure that all grant proposals and reporting includes solid Accountability components and work with the Programmes team to develop appropriate complaints and response mechanisms and roll out of data entry and verification mechanisms.
- Work with Technical Coordinators to develop community consultation and participation plans for sectoral interventions
- Oversee the roll-out of activities and training within the GOAL Syria Accountability Framework and update the framework as needed.
- Oversee the activities of the independent beneficiary selection and verification team, ensuring beneficiary verification processes are independent and consistent.
- Ensure effective oversight and smooth running of GOAL Syria’s complaints and response mechanism.
- Continue to develop and improve on GOAL’s independent monitoring systems designed to ensure accountability, both to beneficiaries and to donors.
- Oversee the work of the Data Entry team and ensure the Program Database is up-to -date and accessible to relevant departments
- Provide an advisory role as requested by the Fraud Committee on conducting and documenting investigations
- Any other tasks at the request of the Line Manager
Requirements (Person Specification)
- A primary Degree in any of the following: Social Sciences, Development Studies or relevant discipline
- A minimum of three years’ experience with accountability activities for humanitarian programming. Specifically, experience of providing oversight of Management information systems for CRM.
- Knowledge of Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) and Sphere Standards
- Proven capacity to build the Accountability skills of colleagues, partner organisations including NNGOs and civil society, and community members.
- Advanced skills with MS Office (particularly Excel). Knowledge of management information systems e.g Digital data gathering platforms, ARCGIS software and analytics powerBI.
- Proven experience of having conducted ToT training on CHS
- Demonstrated experience with staff management; experience in distance management a plus
- Experience and understanding of Communicating with communities (CWC) and communicating with disaster affected communities (CDAC) methodologies would be an advantage
- Confident presentation and facilitation skills, proven record in provision of trainings a plus
- Understanding of database design, SQL, or C# desirable
- Ability to work under pressure, with minimum supervision.
- Excellent oral and written (English) communication skills
- Oral and written (Arabic) communication skills a distinct advantage
Our package includes a competitive salary, shared accommodation, health and travel insurance and 20 days annual leave. Additional benefits are available after 12 months of service. Salary range for this role is € 40,000 to €49,000.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
*This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. The closing date for this role is Monday the 1st of October 2018 at 5pm Irish time.*
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Amman (Jordan) | Jordan
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-10-01