Sub-grants and Compliance Finance Officer-Based in Yumbe (Open to Ugandan Nationals Only)
Yumbe (Uganda) | Uganda
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps is an international, non-governmental humanitarian relief and development agency with headquarters in the UK and USA operating in over 44 countries. The agency exists to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps’ work emphasizes community-led, market-driven interventions through public, private and civic sector partnerships. After more than a decade of operation in Uganda, the Mercy Corps country team has differentiated itself as a forward-thinking, market-driven agency, having implemented or currently implementing nearly 40 programs, valued at over $141 million, changing the lives of over 2.5 million Ugandans and refugees. In Uganda, some of our donors include USAID, SIDA, DFID, WFP, US Department of State; MasterCard Foundation, and ECHO, with over 20 programs and projects currently in operation in 30 districts.
General Position Summary
Working in the Finance Department under the direct supervision of Sub Grants and Contracts Manager, the Sub Grants Finance Officer is responsible for sub grants management, monitoring and reporting and compliance with donor regulations and Mercy Corps regulations. He/she is also responsible for tracking sub grants and sub grantee requirements and for maintaining all sub grants and contracts financial files.
Essential Job Responsibilities
· Conduct sub grants pre-award assessments and recommends for substantial involvements and compliance requirements and modifications to the sub grant agreement and/or monitoring plan to lessen financial and compliance risks.
· Follow up, collect and review sub grantees financial reports and fund requests, keep up-to-date records and report all sub grantees financial status. Review sub grantees financial reports for correctness, completeness, timeliness and compliance.
· Perform sub grantee monitoring visit for financial and programmatic deliverables review or audit and report findings with recommendation to the supervisor communicate agreed upon findings to the sub grantees and follow up its implementation.
· Handle sub grants close-outs ensuring that all requirements of the sub grant agreement have been met and that sub grant funds have been properly settled.
· Follow up all grant compliance issues and document all required information.
· Closely monitor sub grants to ensure that sub grantees are not overspent.
· Create sub award card in navigator and update all milestones and expenditure in navigator.
· Maintain sub grantees tracker and update monthly. Share the updated tracker and list.
· Review contracts and maintain/assist in maintaining and updating the contracts tracker. Distribute monthly tracker for projection and related use.
· Review and track all sub grants and grants/budget purchases and contracts and other commitments. Update the contracts and communicate monthly.
· Maintain sub grant files and ensure they are well labeled, fully updated with all contracts, submitted reports, governing clauses and all other relevant documents.
· Participate in procurement or contracts biding and other procurement processes whenever required.
· Any other tasks to be assigned by the supervisor.
Reports Directly To: Grants & Contracts Manager
Works Directly With: Program managers, field teams
Ethics and Integrity
All Mercy Corps staff member are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
Knowledge and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance is required.
· 3+ years of experience in grants and financial management and accounting.
· Strong management Skills, Technical & Supervisory Skills and experience required.
· Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
· Strong knowledge of, and experience in donor regulations, and management of sub grants required.
· Adequate understanding of donor rules and regulations is required.
· International NGO experience required.
· Demonstrated experience and skill with financial reports preparation and presentation and proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
· Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and accounting software experience.
· Excellent oral and written English skills
Success Factors An ability to support programmatic objectives with timely and meaningful financial information is essential. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. An impeccable professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
Applications: Submit your online application addressed to the Human Resource Director, Mercy Corps Uganda by clicking on the following link https://www.fuzu.com/campaigns/sub-grants-and-compliance-finance-officer-yumbe-mercycorps , Clearly state your salary requirements on the cover letter, attach your CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates. Deadline for Submission: Close of business on Friday, September 21st, 2018. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Yumbe (Uganda) | Uganda
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Banking and Finance
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Ombudsman and Ethics
- Legal - Broad
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Internal audit, Investigation and Inspection
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2018-09-21