Internship - Social Media and Communications for the Unstereotype Alliance
New York City (United States of America)
UN Women Background:
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Unit/ Project Background:
The Unstereotype Alliance is a thought and action platform that uses advertising as a force for good to drive positive change. It seeks to eradicate harmful gender-based stereotypes. The alliance is focused on empowering women in all their diversity (race, class, age, ability, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, language, education, etc.) and addressing harmful masculinities to help create a gender equal world. The Alliance brings together a powerful global coalition of industry leaders behind the common goal of eliminating gender bias and harmful gender stereotypes from their advertising.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Global Coordinator of the Unstereotype Alliance, the intern will assist with Unstereotype Alliance’s communications using various digital media.
Duties and Responsibilities
The internship will have the following responsibilities:
- Drafting messages for Unstereotype Alliance’s social media channels [including twitter, facebook, linkedin and Instagram)
- Based on the media clippings, select the most interesting content, prepare draft tweets and schedule them for approval via HootSuite
- Research additional content on women’s empowerment and gender equality and schedule tweets via HootSuite
- Research interesting posts from partners and schedule retweets via HootSuite
- Keep up to date with the latest research and publications in the topic of gender-based stereotypes and what businesses are doing to accelerate the cause
- Actively expand the network of followers
- Maintain lists on Twitter:
- On a daily basis, monitor new followers and add them to lists on Twitter
- Create a weekly chat/tweetathon such as #DiverseVoices
- Monitor social media accounts:
- Monitor mentions for retweeting
- Monitor the social media accounts for questions, and flag them to the Communications Specialist
- Monitor the social media accounts for negative comments, and flag them to the Communications Specialist
- Support live tweeting from events.
- Draft visual content and prepare images for social media posts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram), newsletter, etc.
- Other tasks as requested by the Communications Team
- Increased understanding of UN Women’s work and the UN system
- Learning different aspects of campaign coordination and social media outreach in an international environment
- Increased knowledge of issues related to gender equality
- Meeting and networking with UN Women colleagues in other units
- Work as a team member in a multicultural setting
- Learning about gender-based stereotypes and behavioral change
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff.
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards other.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Experience in communications and excellent writing skills
- Proficient in using new technologies, web-based platforms and social media networks
- Familiar with women’s rights issues or international development/relations
- Experience in graphic design
- Self-starter; organized; able to multitask and balance multiple responsibilities
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in International Relations, Gender Studies, Visual Communications, or other similar subject
- Internship candidates must be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- An understanding or interest in humanitarian efforts with relation to gender equality and social inclusion.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required; Working knowledge of Spanish or French a distinct advantage
- UN Women will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
- Selected applicants must provide the internship application, two letters of recommendation, proof of health insurance and school enrollment, passport, and visa (if applicable)