Adviser - Governance and Government Relations (ITA)
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law.
To learn more about IDLO, please visit our website www.idlo.int or follow us on Twitter @IDLO.
IDLO is an intergovernmental organization and works with governments from all regions of the world as program partners, donors and Members Parties of its governance bodies. As a senior aide to the Director-General, the Adviser guides, coordinates and supports organization-wide activities to strengthen government relations and mobilize political support to advance IDLO’s goals and objectives. S/he actively engages with government delegations and, working closely with the Department for Strategic Communications and UN Liaison Offices, contributes to the coordination of relations with other inter-governmental organizations. The Adviser also oversees secretariat support to IDLO’s governance bodies.
Reporting directly to the Director-General, the Adviser will carry out the following responsibilities:
- Conceptualize, lead and execute strategies to develop and strengthen relations with Member Parties and other governments in order to expand political support for IDLO’s vision, mission, programs and policy objectives;
- Support and advise the Director General and IDLO’s Senior Leadership Team to strengthen partnerships with governments and inter-governmental organizations and enhance IDLO’s profile and relevance to key stakeholders;
- Engage proactively with government delegations in Rome and, where appropriate, in capitals, to strengthen communications and build effective partnerships, identifying areas of common interest and leveraging synergies;
- Develop and execute a membership growth strategy in a regionally balanced manner to achieve the goals and targets set out in IDLO’s Strategic Plan 2017 – 2020;
- Take the lead in developing and fostering relations with Rome-based Agencies with a view to developing and enhancing new program and policy partnerships;
- Working closely with senior managers at Headquarters and UN Liaison Offices, ensure effective coordination and coherent management of IDLO’s governmental and inter-governmental relations;
- Working in close cooperation with the Strategic Partnerships Unit, ensure that IDLO’s plans and activities to garner political and financial support are properly coordinated and mutually reinforcing;
- Plan, manage and oversee the work of the Secretariat to ensure timely and high-quality support to IDLO’s governing bodies, coordinating, as appropriate, with the Office of the General Counsel and other relevant Departments;
- Working closely with the Department of Strategic Communications, ensure that the communications strategies, activities and products are geared to enhance engagement with IDLO’s governmental and inter-governmental stakeholders;
- Effectively lead a small team dedicated to government relations and governance support, providing clear direction, managing performance through regular dialogue, feedback, and mentoring; motivate and support staff by fostering teamwork; encourage initiative and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural setting across the Organization;
- Develop and manage the annual work plan and budget for secretariat and government relations activities; and
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Director-General.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Work experience
- Graduate degree in political sciences, international relations, or related field. A first level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible professional experience in an international/multilateral organization or in government with a focus on external relations, diplomacy and/or inter-governmental coordination;
- Experience of stakeholder relations management preferably in an inter-governmental or setting;
- Experience of working with governance bodies in intergovernmental organizations.
- Fluency in English is essential;
- Working knowledge of French/Spanish an advantage.
Specific knowledge, skills and competencies
- Strong diplomatic skills with proven ability to build networks and manage stakeholder relationships in a complex multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to think strategically with good political analysis and understanding of global issues of relevance to IDLO’s mandate;
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with top leadership;
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate and build trust and confidence with government officials from diverse regions;
- Strong oral, drafting and representational skills;
- Good understanding of IDLO’s substantive areas of work: rule of law, development, peacebuilding, access to justice;
- Ability to effectively coordinate multi-sited multicultural teams;
- Proven ability to work with minimal supervision and lead a multicultural team in a fast-paced and rapidly evolving environment;
- Strong inter-personal skills, able to promote mutual respect and trust, and relate to people from different cultures;
- Impeccable integrity, sense of ethics and commitment to IDLO's mandate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The annual salary for this fixed-term professional, internationally recruited position is in the range of € 80,000.- commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus additional admissible allowances and benefits. The selected candidate will be offered a contract for 12 months, renewable, subject to performance and fund availability. Relocation support is available for internationally recruited employees.
IDLO benefit package in accordance with IDLO Employee regulations and Rules includes: Provident Fund (IDLO contribution 14%) and subsidized health insurance coverage including life insurance, medical and dental through CIGNA International to the employee and eligible dependents plus other admissible benefits.
The remuneration is net of income tax for those without Italian nationality or permanent residence.
HOW TO APPLY
Women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the staff member assigned to this work. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline is: September 30, 2018 (23:59hrs Rome Time).
In the interest of making most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
- Organization: IDLO - International Development Law Organization
- Location: Rome (Italy)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Political Affairs
- International Relations
- Closing Date: 2018-09-30