Procurement Associate G6
"Qualified FEMALE candidates and candidates from minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply."
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This position is part of the Supply Chain unit and reports to the Senior Logistics Officer, who is team leader of the Supply Chain unit. The incumbent will be under overall supervision of the Head of Supply and EPR. Job holders at this level demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries and problems with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on daily basis.
To provide coordination, administrative services and research to support the efficient and effective procurement services for the WFP Nepal country office.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under direct supervision of the Senior Logistics Officer and overall guidance of the Head of Supply Chain and EPR, the incumbent shall carry out the following tasks;
- Provide operational coordination and administrative services, to support procurement projects and activities, following standard processes and contributing to the effective procurement of goods and services as per client units’ requisition.
- Review, record and prioritise purchasing requests, and provide support to requisitioners, to support the procurement of appropriate goods and services, at lowest cost to WFP.
- Maintain relationships with internal counterparts in requisitioning units and prepare an Annual Procurement Plan to support the alignment of procurement activities with wider programmes and ensure a coherent approach to meeting the requesting units' needs.
- Identify and recommend potential suppliers and compile data/documents to support the selection of suppliers, ensuring standard processes are followed.
- Contribute to negotiations with new suppliers on terms and conditions of orders, alongside a senior officer, in order to obtain the best terms and lowest costs for WFP.
- Assist in updating the vendor list annually for suppliers of food, goods and services and maintain the vendor data base in WFP’s database system (WINGS). Conduct field visits to provide orientation to new suppliers when required.
- Prepare Purchase Orders, tender terms and conditions, contracts, Long Term Agreements and any supporting documentation for approval by the appropriate stakeholder, and approve purchases within delegated authority, to enable the swift purchase of food commodities, goods and services.
- Follow-up with suppliers and resolve issues related to delivered goods and services, using initiative, liaising with all parties and following standard processes, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of problems.
- Research, collect and analyse data in to produce reports to enable informed decision making by Procurement Officers, and consistency of information presented to stakeholders. Manage updates in WFP’s database system WINGS and INTEND and further develop records as needed, to ensure information is accurate, organised, and available for others to access, and in support of corporate reporting requirements.
- Assist in preparing the shipping documents and obtaining the import permit from the Government of Nepal for WFP shipments of commodities, imported via Kolkata Port in India.
- Draft various routine correspondence, letters, memos and reports related to the procurement process and maintain systematic files of all related procurement documents for audit purposes.
- Ensure donor funds are utilized within the Terminal Date of Obligation and Disbursement, financial closures and Monthly Minimum Closure (MMC) by keeping proper tracking of open Purchase Requisitions (PRs) and Purchase Orders (POs). Send a weekly report to the requesting Units.
- Supervise the work of support staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond and deploy food, services and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Perform other related duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. Or a post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Language: Fluent (level C) in Nepali language. Fluency in both written and spoken English language.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Tendering and Contracting||Displays basic understanding of processes to support the contracting/tendering implementation at WFP by collecting necessary information.|
|Vendor Management||Leverages basic understanding of business needs to define vendor requirements and selection criteria.|
|Commodity and Product/Service Intelligence||Appropriately handles products/services based on an understanding of sources, technologies, properties, and public procurement principles/practices.|
|Systems & Reporting||Demonstrates strong understanding of procurement systems, Corporate operating System and tools to conduct range of analyses and generate reports to drive decision making.|
|Ethics and Compliance||Maintains accurate records of activities in line with compliance standards to increase ease of response to basic audit queries.|
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum five years of experience in public procurement of goods and services.
- Additional experience in finance/budget managmetn, audit, logistics is desired
Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrated experience with local procurement of food commodities, engineering, transport, finance and consulting services
- Demonstrated knowledge of procurement processes and linkages with other operations (e.g. food/nutrition programme, engineering, logistics)
- Experience conducting supplier market research and coordinating with retailers, wholesalers and traders.
- Experience with UN or public procurement processes is desired.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Demonstrated familiarity with locally purchased commodities/goods/services (e.g., cash based, in-kind donations).
• Experience conducting supplier research and coordinating with retailers, wholesalers and traders.
• Demonstrated knowledge of procurement processes and linkages with other operations (e.g., logistics).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Position Title: Procurement Associate
Contract Type: Fixed Term (FT)
Contract Duration: 12 months
Duty Station: Kathmandu
Post: 1 Position (One)
Nationality: Nepalese only
Only the candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to submit an online application by 27 September 2018.
To apply, please visit http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings
Candidates are requested to Create an account in system before applying. Candidate's UN Personal Histoty Form (P11), curriculum vitae (CV) and applications will be registered allowing profile updates, apply for a job through wfp career website.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The organization reserves the right to cancel or postpone the whole recruitment process without providing any reasons whatsoever.
No telephone enquiries will be entertained.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Organization: UN WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Kathmandu (Nepal)
- Grade: GS-6, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position - Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-09-27