Area Programme Manager - Bekaa (Lebanese National) - Lebanon
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application on WebCruiter. Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
1. Role Summary:
The Area Programme Manager is responsible for overseeing the overall NRC Bekaa’s programme, in selected geographical areas. S/he will ensure that all projects and project activities meet relevant quality and compliance standards, extend adequate levels of high-quality support and supervision to the Project Managers, and contribute extensively to new programme development. The position holder will ensure that NRC continues to implement holistic and needs-based programming and will represent NRC at relevant coordination forums, will be responsible for implementing integrated programmes and represent NRC at relevant coordination forums, as delegated by the Area Manager, and is a member of the Area Management Team.
- Line manage all related project managers.
- Ensure compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures.
- Provide programme support to integrated programme, and ensure proper coordination and technical quality in Area Office.
- Provide area specific input relevant for programme strategies.
- Ensure compliance to donor standards and grant management, and provide regular reporting to donors.
- Identify funding opportunities and develop funding strategy and forecasts in line with the NRC Lebanon donor strategy,
- Ensure compliance with contractual commitments and extracting and implementing key learnings from project implementation.
- Coordinate new emergency response in Area as needed.
- Ensure capacity building of all technical staff where needed.
- Oversee and be responsible of mainstreaming protection guidelines in the NRC’s related activities as per NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines and ensure that all breaches/concerns reported are properly resolved.
- Receive the referral information related to protection cases on a monthly basis from the related focal points and take proper actions to ensure that the referral system is functioning to the best interest of beneficiaries as per NRC’s referral’s procedures.
- Liaise with consortia partners for jointly implemented programmes and consortia managers
- Contribute to planning and implementation of needs assessments, with technical support from Core Competency Specialists for new areas of operation.
- Contribute actively to program/proposal development, providing area-specific inputs and reviewing/consolidating contributions from Project Managers.
- Coordinate with relevant Support functions (Logistics, Finance, HR) to ensure timely, compliant, cost-effective and high-quality project planning and implementation.
- Manage systems for quality control, monitoring and evaluation, and incorporate key learning in program development, adjustment and implementation; ensure full compliance with NRC’s Project Cycle Management Framework across all grants administered in the area of operation.
- Represent NRC externally with regards to programmatic issues, including in relevant coordination forums and vis-à-vis donors in the area and in Beirut when needed, authorities as well as other relevant external stakeholders.
- Ensure appropriate performance management and staff care and well-being of all direct reports, including regular meetings and completion of work and development plans.
- Deputize Area Manager when appointed and step in as Acting Area Manager (or Officer-in-Charge) as and when required.
- Ensure protection is mainstreamed across all Core Competences operating in Bekaa (Shelter, WASH, ICLA, Education, CMC)
- Contribute to area and country level strategy development.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Proposal development: Country Program Support Unit; Regional Programme Adviser
- Programme implementation: Head of Programme and Head of Consortia
- BPO and allocation of shared costs: Finance Manager/Coordinator
- Grant management: Country Support functions, Grants Manager
- Capacity development: Core Competency Specialists
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
1. Professional Competencies:
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience from a management position in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal, Proficiency in Arabic would be a major asset
- Understanding of the context (Lebanon crisis) is essential
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in a highly fluid environment where both context and organizational structure are subject to continuous, abrupt and substantial change.
2. Behavioral Competencies:
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioral competencies, the following are essential for this position:
- Strategic thinking
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiating action and change
- Handling insecure environments
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Zahle (Lebanon)
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: