National Project Officer - Sustainable Urbanization in GAM - SC8 (2 Positions)
The UNDP-GEF project is designed to promote low-carbon buildings in Greater Amman Municipality, and eventually in other municipalities and cities in Jordan, through the application of Building Energy Codes, and in particular the Thermal Insulation Code for new buildings and retrofit guidelines for existing buildings. The project will directly support the implementation of the National Energy Efficiency Action Plan, and the National Green Growth Plan. This will be achieved through four outcomes:
Putting in place planning and monitoring frameworks to foster accelerated low-carbon development in GAM and benchmark progress against established international standards;
Strengthening the enabling conditions, methodologies and tools in GAM for enforcing regulatory frameworks for EE buildings and street lighting;
An integrated climate monitoring and finance framework is established for the development of urban NAMAs, and appropriate financial de-risking tools are identified and supported to promote adoption of EE measures in buildings attached to MRV systems; and
Selected proof-of-concept mitigation interventions to operationalize the outputs under the previous outcomes.
The lifetime global environment benefits will accrue from enhancing building thermal insulation in a combination of six proof-of-concept buildings in Amman and will be ~10.9 ktCO2e. Consequential emission reductions amounting to ~7.2 MtCO2e are expected between 2018 and 2042 through the enforcement of Codes. The project yields a GEF abatement cost of 0.365 US$/tCO2e. The project will produce co-benefits such as job creation for enhancing building envelope thermal insulation, and the reduction in water used in buildings that will increase the water resilience of urban areas to an already water-stressed situation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Key Results Expected and Measurable Outputs
The National Project Officer will have the following responsibilities:
- Ensure smooth implementation of the project in accordance with the project document and UNDP's procedures.
- Be responsible for coordination of project activities with other involved governmental and non-governmental organizations under the supervision of the project manager;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the project’s annual workplans;
- Coordinate, monitor and close follow-up of the activities of all consultants assigned by the projects to ensure timely provision of inputs and achievement of outputs and deliverables;
- Monitor the progress of the different project activities including the development of “in-house “databases that documents all related information and provide concise progress reports on: work accomplished, main difficulties encountered, ..etc.;
- Assist in establishing a trusting relationship with all concerned groups including relevant ministries, private sector and local NGOS.
- Provide support to the local Implementing Partners;
- Prepare Terms of Reference for consultants and contractors;
- Provide technical input to project activities where appropriate;
- Submit reports of relevant project progress and problems;
- Work as a liaison officer with the local communities’ institutions;
- Assist in integrating the project annual workplan into the partner’s annual plans to ensure integration;
- Ensure appropriate stakeholder participation in the project implementation through coordination with all concerned institutions.
- Assists with writing of press releases and speeches related to events organized by the project, and ensures an adequate media coverage for such events and any other strategic issues/activities linked to project implementation;
- Assist in documenting and disseminating lessons learned and best practices derived from the project activities;
- Support the process of quarterly and annual planning of project activities.
- Ensure total accuracy and the highest level of transparency in the management of the project financial resources in accordance with UNDP and national regulations and procedures.
- Prepare all necessary financial reports to accompany Project quarterly and annual work plans and reports.
- Assist in preparing communication/publicity materials e.g. posters, brochures, newsletter, Etc.
- Ensure consistency and integration among the various program elements and related activities provided or funded by various sources;
- Foster and establish links with other relevant programs within UNDP;
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the supervisor and Environment Team Leader
The National Project Officers will work under the overall supervision of the National Project Manager and in close collaboration with UNDP Jordan CO . One of them will be based at the Greater Amman Municipality premises and the other will be based at the National Green Building Council premises. The National Project Officers will support the day-to-day management, coordination and supervision of the implementation of the project and will ensure effective and timely implementation of the project, provide administrative and technical assistance required.
Skills and Competencies:
- Result-based Programme development and management
- Identifies and communicates opportunities for national capacity development initiatives
- Knowledge Sharing/Continuous Learning
- Encourages the learning of others by acknowledging their skill sets and expertise and creating learning opportunities. Creates mechanisms to collect and share knowledge evaluating project
- Communicating information and ideas
- Encourages open communication in the team demonstrating the ability to see issues and situations from team members’ perspective.
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking
Required Skills and Experience
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in environment management, energy studies, engineering, science or any related field
- 5 years of experience in the specific areas the project is dealing with, including Energy Efficiency (ideally in buildings) in Jordan and climate change mitigation (ideally including NAMAs).
- Knowledge of Result-based management and at least 2 years of experience in project management and implementation;
- Proven experience working with relevant agencies in Jordan.
- Proven ability in work plan preparation
- Proven ability in budget management
- Good working knowledge of and demonstrated ability in project management
- Strong analytical skills, good inter-personal and team building skills
- Excellent knowledge of English and Arabic.
- Familiarity with technical assistance projects and UNDP programme in Joran is an asset.
Proficient in both written and oral English and Arabic
Excellent computer and word processing skills.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Amman (Jordan)
- Grade: SB-4, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Urban Development, planning and design
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Closing Date: 2018-09-25