SVN 2018/223 (P) - Shelter/NFI Technical Officer (P3) - Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Cox's Bazaar (Bangladesh)
Position Title Shelter/NFI Technical Officer
Duty Station : Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 25 September 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Emergency Coordinator, and the direct supervision of the Programme Manager (Shelter/ Non-Food Items (NFIs)), the successful candidate will manage and ensure the implementation of projects within IOM’s Shelter/NFI Programme. Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Manage and coordinate Shelter/NFI project activities, including Capacity Building, Assessment, and Monitoring and Evaluation, in accordance with the project scope, schedule and budget and in line with IOM’s policies, standards and operating modalities, as well as donor requirements. Provide financial, administrative and technical backstopping to projects. 2. Based on IOM Shelter/NFI programme strategy and the Shelter/NFI Sector guidelines, design, develop, plan and conduct Shelter/NFI training and capacity building programmes and activities including Training of Trainers (ToTs) for IOM and Shelter/NFI sector partners. 3. Build a repository of technical materials to be used for training and capacity building, and ensure the integration of gender issues, the inclusion of persons living with disabilities and Gender-Based Violence (GBV) risk reduction.
Page 1 / 44. Supervise and ensure quality of community level shelter awareness sessions by, inter alia, monitoring sessions, evaluating feedback, assessing attainment of objectives and overall results, and mentoring and advising IOM/Partner staff.
5. Design and develop technical monitoring and evaluation systems which enable the production of real time reports on effectiveness and efficiency of projects.
6. Oversee other Shelter/NFI programme implementation such as assessment, construction, and cash for work.
7. Identify, train and supervise IOM technical and project staff in accordance with the Organization’s procedures and regulations. Coach, support, and assess the performance of their daily activities, and take action to address areas for improvement.
8. Develop and ensure the execution of IOM Shelter/NFI strategies, ensuring engagement with affected community, local government, and other humanitarian and development actors to define and pilot durable solutions for displaced populations.
9. Identify new project opportunities, describe and justify project possibilities consistent with the approved Shelter/NFI programme and ongoing activities, prepare and adjust project proposals to ensure consistency with relevant priorities and available resources, and follow up on donor negotiations.
10. Represent IOM at Shelter/NFI Sector meetings, Technical Working Group (TWiG) and other fora. Substantively contribute to the sector wide technical discussion and development of sector technical guidelines.
11. Regularly coordinate and collaborate with all concerned IOM officials and personnel to effectively track and resolve delivery challenges and highlight project successes for production of reporting and other materials.
12. Regularly advise the Programme Manager (Shelter/NFI) on technical, operational and administrative issues.
13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Disaster Management, International relations, Conflict Management, Human Rights, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in humanitarian response, operational field or a related field experience; • Emergency experience and previous project implementation in Shelter/CCCM programme. • Project implementation and capacity building experiences, including conduction of training of trainer in Shelter/Disaster Risk Reduction is an advantage;
• Solid computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office package (Office, Excel, Power Point, Outlook), internet and Email.
Fluency in English is required.
Page 2 / 4Desirable Competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
•Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 25 September 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html Page 3 / 4In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 18.09.2018 to 25.09.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/223 (P) - Shelter/NFI Technical Officer (P3) - Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh (55655185) Released
Posting: Posting NC55655202 (55655202) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Cox's Bazaar (Bangladesh)
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Human Settlements (Shelter, Housing, Land, Property)
- Food Security, Livestock and Livelihoods
- Closing Date: 2018-09-25