UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Communications Unit works cross-cutting in supporting all programmes under Egypt Country Office including Women’s Economic Empowerment, Women’s Political Empowerment and Violence against Women. The Unit also is responsible for formulating and implementing communications and advocacy strategies including communications and visibility plans. Additionally, the Communications Unit facilitate organizing public events, press conferences and workshops. The Communications work also includes developing various communications materials following including brochures, press releases, documentaries and infographics.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Communications Unit, the intern will be responsible for assisting the communications team in various tasks.
The intern will hold the following responsibilities:
- Assist in the preparation of any events that may take place during their internship duration;
- Support in writing and editing communications materials;
- Translate communications materials when necessary
- Support in the development of audiovisual materials
- Assist in developing regular media monitoring reports
- Attend meetings and conferences;
- Write stories, reports and minutes of meetings.
- Help with the content development of the website.
- Update the communication database.
- Update the communications filing system.
- Any other related tasks to support the Communications unit.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
• Excellent communication skills. Communicates sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies;
• Demonstrates very good understanding of and experience in communications and outreach;
• Proven networking skills, and ability to generate interest in UN Women’s mandate;
• Strong initiative-taker;
• Very effective at multi-tasking;
• Work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
• Ability to think and work logically and work precisely with attention to detail;
• Ability to write clearly and concisely.
• Familiar with women’s rights issues.
• Fluent in both English and Arabic.
• Excellent writing skills in both English and Arabic.
• Excellent translation skills.
• Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop is a plus.
Required Skills and Experience
- The intern must have studies in Mass Communications, Political Science, Graphic Design or other similar subject at the university level.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English and Arabic are required; Working knowledge of another UN language a distinct advantage.
Interns are not financially remunerated by UN Women.
- UN Women will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
- Selected applicants must provide the internship application, two letters of recommendation, proof of health insurance and school enrollment, passport, and visa (if applicable)
UN Women Internship Policy:
1) Applicants to the United Nations internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher)
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
(c) Have graduated with a university degree (as (b) above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year.
2) UN Women internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;
3) All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
4) UN Women accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
5) The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
6) Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UN WOMEN during the period of the internship or for six months immediately following the expiration date of internship;
7) The intern must provide proof of enrollment in a health insurance plan, proof of school enrollment, a scanned copy of his/her passport, two letters of recommendation, and application
- Organization: UN WOMEN - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Location: Cairo (Egypt)
- Grade: Internship
- Women's Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2018-09-25