UNDP’s Regional Centre for Europe and the CIS is UNDP`s advisory hub for the Europe and CIS region tasked with the responsibility to provide policy and programmatic support to UNDP´s development activities in the region. Throughout UNDP´s focus areas, it works towards increasing the impact of UNDP´s activities in the region by assisting Country Offices in development of country-level initiatives through advisory services and technical support and by implementing regional-level projects in partnership with a wide range of partners supported to a global network of expertise. Under the leadership of the Director, the RBEC Regional Centre employs will a multi-disciplinary team of specialists and advisors, project managers, operations and programme support staff.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the ICT Specialist, the ICT Assistant provides ICT support services and daily technical support to the RSC staff and other users of information management tools and technology infrastructure. The ICT Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach.
Duties and Responsibilities
- General IT user support
- Effective functioning of the RSC hardware and software packages
- Support to networks administration
- Provision of administrative support
- Implementation of ICT management systems and strategies
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Provides general IT user support to clients by:
- Continuously assisting users with IT issues
- Maintaining computers, servers, printers and other devices in good working status
- Monitoring full compliance of IT systems and procedures with UN/UNDP rules and regulations on IT operations
- Regular updates of user hardware and software
2. Ensures effective functioning of the IRH hardware and software packages, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Assisting the effective functioning (installation, operation and maintenance) of all UNDP IT systems.
- Monitoring the use of ICT resources and ensuring they are used in line with UNDP policies.
- Assisting the procurement of IT equipment, software and services.
- Supporting the development of internal automation tools for efficient IT systems management.
- Providing technical support and making minor repairs of hardware and software components of ICT infrastructure and user equipment.
- Assisting the software updates at user computers and servers, firmware updates.
- Assisting the installation and maintenance of office ICT infrastructure components in local and remote offices, projects and partner agencies.
3. Supports networks administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Continuous monitoring of the network resources to ensure a stable and responsive network environment.
- Troubleshooting and monitoring of network problems.
- Monitoring that ICT resources are protected from unauthorized access.
- Monitoring that the UNDP user equipment and network resources are protected from malicious software and viruses.
- Responding to user requests regarding network access and ICT resources.
- Performing data backup and restore for users and servers, keeping backup logs, protecting data backups in off-site storage.
- Monitoring ICT infrastructure robustness and redundancy for Business Continuity.
- Participation in development and implementation of Disaster Recover Planning (DRP)
- Providing networks administration support to remote offices and partner UN agencies as required.
4. Provides administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of an up-to-date inventory of software and hardware assets
- Maintenance and update of ICT documentation
- Technical review of quotations and bids
- Assisting the hiring process of ICT related staff or consultants
- Maintenance of the inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Procurement Unit
- Assisting the research and retrieval of data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical data, tables and reports as required
- Provision of ICT support to events, workshops, trainings, etc
5. Supports implementation of ICT management systems and strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the IRH technology environment
- Support to the use of ERP systems functionality for improved business results and improved client services
- Provision of inputs to the IRH administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Finding, suggesting and implementing solutions for different work-related problems
- Finding, suggesting and implementing solutions to increase work efficiency of IT team as well as other units/teams
- Provision of inputs to preparation of results-oriented workplans.
6. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the RSC, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation and assistance in the organization of trainings for the IRH staff on ICT issues.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Active participation on corporate IT social networks
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the IRH including improved business results and client services. Forward-looking and proactive ICT management has an impact on the organization of office management, knowledge sharing, and information provision. Accurate and prompt analysis, offered and implemented solution of the existing IT problems is essential for smooth operations of the entire centre.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Strategic Alignment of Management Practice (HQ & RSCs)
- Gathers information on best practices in the relevant management practice in his/her area of responsibility
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education in a relevant field.
- University Degree in Computer Engineering, Network Engineering, Electronics Engineering or any other related field.
- Secondary Education with 5 years of relevant work experience in IT user support, network administration, maintenance of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications
- Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of relevant work experience in IT user support, network administration, maintenance of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications
2) ICT Certifications such as Cisco, Microsoft is an asset.
3) Previous experience with the following is an asset:
- Microsoft Windows Servers
- Windows based operating systems
- Apple OS and mobile phone platforms
- Microsoft Office applications
- SharePoint services
- Cisco routers and firewalls
- Open source applications
- Other commercial software
- VoIP applications
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required
- Knowledge of Russian or other language spoken in Europe and the CIS region would be an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.