Regional Director for LAC (18-85)
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 18-85 RD/GRS/LAC
Regional Director for LAC
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a highly motivated Regional Director to provide strategic direction and develop as well as implement CIP’s research for development portfolio of country led projects in Latin America (Andean region) and the Caribbean.
About the role
This position will be based in Lima, Peru and will report to the Director General. The successful candidate will lead the regional strategy planning in Latin America and the Caribbean, with a focus on Andean agri- food systems development, climate smart agriculture approaches and sustainable livelihoods. The main objective is to grow and diversify CIP’s portfolio in the region, while ensuring CIP regional leadership is delivering quality research for development projects on time, within budget and up to the expectations of all our stakeholders. The Regional Director will be responsible for overall regional project implementation, donor/government relations, communications, marketing and brand management, financial deliverables, strategic partnering, and resource mobilization. She/he will act as the CIP spokesperson in the region to represent CIP with local media, partners, governments and funders. Key responsibilities:
• Strategic Planning and Regional Management: Lead the creation and implementation of the LAC regional strategy in coordinationwith key leaders at CIP and particularly inclose coordinationwith other research and development activities carried out at HQ and in the region. Ensure quality project implementation though comprehensive country-specific reviews of project portfolios, crosslearningopportunities,andlessonslearned.Leadandmanagetheregionalstrategicalliances and partnerships. Reposition the role of potato-based systems as a driver to promote the sustainable intensification and diversification of Andean agri-food systems and analyze opportunities for sweetpotato in the lowland, coastal and amazon areas of Peru, Colombia, Ecuador and Bolivia as well as prioritized Caribbean countries. Promote innovative approaches to contribute to solve and/or mitigate climate change challenges in the Andes.
• Resource mobilization and representation: Develop and drive forward fundraising plans for the region following the LAC RM strategy, coordinate with the RM team and contribute to the implementation of efficient mechanisms to develop and identify opportunities for proposal preparation with an agri-food and climate smart system perspective according to the regional trends and needs, program business plans and in accordance with the Global Potato Program and the Biodiversity Program (in situ component in particular). Pursue strategic alliances with collaborative partners to develop CIP as a partner of choice for major local and international donors. Maintain a high level of understanding of donor priorities, country plans and planned funding initiatives. Represent CIP at the regional and country level with donors, and partners in order to support CIP’s institutional interest. Inform andsupport communicationsand marketing at
the regional level. • Financial and Operational Management: Lead the execution of CIP’s operations in the region. Monitor country level projects including annual and multi-year budgets and forecasts. Ensure the implementation and monitoring of financial and operational policy and procedures at the country and regional level. Report to headquarters about the financial state of the country and regional offices.Accountableforcomplianceaccordingtothedonoragreementanddelegationofauthority
assigned to this position.
• People Management: Lead CIP efforts to recruit, manage and develop high performing regional and country-based staff. Develop a positive work environment for all staff across the region. Manage and coach the country managers to ensure the effective talent management processes, contribute to their performance reviews and identify succession and development plans.
• Innovativepartnershipsandapproacheswithprivatesector:Leadtheeffortsto createinnovative alliances and partnerships with the private sector across the region in order to contribute with CIP’s mission.
• Reposition CIP’s brand in Peru and the region: Lead the implementation of the marketing and branding strategy for CIP in the region with the guidance of the Communications area in HQ and marketing and PR resources made available.
What are we looking for?
• Advanced degree (PhD or Master) in Economics, Administration or Science disciplines, with management capacities and technical background in a relevant discipline related to agriculture and/or development.
• Atleast10yearsofexperienceinadevelopmentorinternationalorganization,experienceinLatin American and the Caribbean (LAC) will be a strong plus.
• Extensivemanagementorleadershipexperience,preferablyleadinghigh-levelanddiversetalent, to enable the creation of appropriate regional strategies.
• Proven expertise of leading large funding initiatives and manage large/complex proposals in the region.
• Solid financial management skills and metrics-based management accountability expertise. • Demonstrated people management and team building skills.
• Proactive approach, with ability to find creative ways to solve problems or exploit potentials. • Proven capacity to build and develop business networks and strategic partnerships in the region. • Excellent written and oral communication skills in Spanish and English.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background, and is a recent World Food Price Winner and awarded with the Al-Sumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
• CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP’s mission contributes to the SDGs: 1,2,3,5,8,13 and 15.
• CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.What are we offering? • Good working environment
• Great career opportunity in an international organization.
• Salary will be internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
• Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
• Attractive retirement plan.
• Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
• Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
How to apply?
Visit the following link: https://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references. Screening of applications will begin on October 19, 2018 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply