Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Background Information - Job-specific
Within the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), the Programme Support Branch (PSB) is responsible for helping OCHA country offices and humanitarian partners implement the Humanitarian Programme Cycle (HPC). PSB, in partnership with OCHA’s Information Services Branch (ISB) is currently developing the suite of information services which support the HPC. This includes online database applications for the administration of systems such as those for the Financial Tracking Service (FTS) and the Online Projects System (OPS); as well as new online systems to facilitate the creation, management and monitoring of humanitarian response plans (HRPs). These are being built on technologies including PostgreSQL, Node.js and AngularJS.
OCHA is seeking talented and creative individuals to help in the technical development process of these online applications in conjunction with external partners, and subsequently to ensure ongoing iterative development, maintenance and support. The individual will need to have access to a Mac OSX or Linux environment.
The individual would join an OCHA-wide team of developers, product managers, designers and business analysts with expertise in core technologies used by several different projects throughout the organization, with the aim to foster closer structured collaboration and interchange between them.
The position is home-based, and ideally should be based in the same or similar time zone as Switzerland as it requires close and continuous collaboration with the team in Geneva. Travel to Geneva may be required on an as-needs basis every few months.
As a full stack developer you will report to the HPC information services project manager in Geneva and work collaboratively with colleagues in headquarters and the field.
Within a team of front-end and back-end developers you will be working on existing and new applications using Angular (1.5 and above), Node.js, Postgres, Docker and Solr. The project follows the Git workflow model used by the team for code management and releases. Developers are required to write unit tests for code. You will also work closely with the infrastructure team for code deployments, troubleshooting and other related issues. As a full stack developer you will be required to:
- Have access to a computer with MAC OS X or Linux based environment for running the necessary development tools.
- Advise on, design, implement and manage solutions for web applications including system architecture, database models and coding standards.
- Implement iterative design and technical improvements for applications once they are launched, including scoping and development of new features
- Provide technical documentation for developers and application administrators to support and maintain the system
- Provide technical support as needed to application administrators and data managers for content creation and user/permission management
- Function as active member of wider OCHA development team, including reporting to team leader, participation in regular knowledge interchange, joint events etc.
- Assist with data migrations as needed
- Advanced-level university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with additional two years, a technical/professional diploma with additional four years, or a secondary school diploma with additional six years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the university degree.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience is required of online database application development and implementation.
- Minimum of 2 years developing with Angular.js (v1.5 and later)
- Development of web applications using RESTful API backends
- CSS and use of pre-processors such as SASS or LESS
- Minimum of 1 year using Sequelize or similar ORM
- Minimum of 2 years developing with Node.js
- Minimum of 2 years developing with SQL-based open-source databases such as MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Code versioning using Git workflow
- Minimum 2 years’ experience of developing on a Linux environment.
- Experience in managing dependencies, code deployment to various environments and development workflow.
- Demonstrated experience in web development projects in a consulting or professional services environment, working with cross-functional teams.
- Experience working on projects using an agile framework
- Experience working both independently and in collaboration with remote, geographically diverse teams - must be very comfortable working via e-mail, chat, IRC, audio/video conference etc.
- Experience of developing web applications in other programming languages would be beneficial. Some knowledge of Drupal-based websites, particularly regarding integration of database applications with Drupal front-ends, and website development in PHP would be an asset.
- Experience with Docker would be beneficial.
- Some experience working with the public or not-for-profit sector would be an asset.
A competent level of English or above is required. Knowledge of another UN language (Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese and French) is an asset.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.