Traineeship in the Policy and Humanitarian Diplomacy Division for AFRICA REGION
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
The main role of the Associate is to give high quality and timely research and support to Diplomatic Advisors and Policy Advisors and to be a positive member of the Associate Group and the wider Division. Each Associate is expected to make the most of their time with the ICRC and to reach the end of the year with a clear sense of personal and professional development.
Accountabilities & Functional responsibilities
Under the supervision of a diplomatic adviser and a policy adviser, the post holder will be responsible for:
- Conducting research that analyses humanitarian trends, issues and policy developments to support policy and diplomatic work;
- Contributing analysis to the development of diplomatic strategies for advancing operational or policy change objectives in Africa;
- Producing briefing notes, literature reviews, talking points, reports and presentations or other visualisation material to support diplomatic or policy messages;
- Assisting with the day-to-day management of relations with international and regional organisations as well as major international NGOs and humanitarian think tanks;
- Supporting the roll-out of policy publications (drafting roll-out strategies, helping to track impact);
- Attending meetings with and on behalf of Advisors and producing short and accurate summaries or minutes of meetings as agreed;
- Playing a wider role with other members of the Division as necessary and agreed.
Certifications / Education required
A Master's degree in a relevant field (e.g. international relations, international politics, international law, humanitarian action, development, peace/conflict studies, etc.)
Professional Experience required
- Minimum of 6 months full-time prior experience with an international organisation, an NGO or within the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and no more than 2 years of relevant experience;
- Basic knowledge of international humanitarian law, human rights law and refugee law;
- Understanding of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, including its structure, policies, approaches, etc.
- Any relevant publications;
- Strong knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methodology (e.g. through previous research experience or training).
Desired profile and skills
- Demonstrated interest in and prior exposure to international affairs and diplomacy;
- A manifest interest for humanitarian action/issues and/or the ICRC;
- Knowledge or good understanding and/ or prior experience working in Africa on issues from a humanitarian and/ or diplomatic perspective;
- Knowledge and/ or prior experience working on at least one of the following policy themes: migration, displacement, public health, education, climate, counter-terrorism, development, peace building, conflict mediation, reconciliation;
- Excellent analytical, research and writing skills;
- Ability to think strategically, to express ideas clearly, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Field experience.
Excellent English and a good command of French.
- Type of role:Traineeship
- Working rate: 100%
- Starting date: 01.02.2019
- Location: Geneva
- Length of assignment: 12 months
- Application deadline: 14/10/2019
- Organization: ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
- Location: traineeship
- Grade: Junior
- Human Rights
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- International Relations
- Legal - Broad
- Political Affairs
- Closing Date: 2019-10-14