Child Protection Officer, NO-1, Fixed Term, Sana'a, Yemen, #00089205
Under the close supervision of the Chief, Child Protection, the incumbent will be accountable for professional technical contribution to project design, planning, administration, monitoring and evaluation of Child Protection programme/project activities, data analysis and progress reporting, and commitment for enhancement of teamwork and capacity building, in support of achievement of planned objectives of the work plan, aligned with country programme goals and strategy.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone and we never give up.
For every child, Advocate
In the 1970s UNICEF established presence in Yemen to respond to the urgent needs of children in the poorest country in the Middle East. In 1991, Yemen ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child and it was enacted immediately. Since then the country has been making steady progress for children until it plunged into a brutal conflict in 2015 but even before that, Yemen needed large amounts of humanitarian assistance.
In collaboration with local authorities, non-governmental organizations and community partners, UNICEF is working in all the governorates in Yemen to respond to the needs of children throughout the country with a continuum of services to help children survive and grow to their full potential through the following programmes: Health, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Basic Education, and Child protection.
For more on our work in Yemen, please visit our website: https://www.unicef.org/yemen/
How can you make a difference?
Under the close supervision of the Chief, Child Protection, the incumbent will be accountable for professional technical contribution to project design, planning, administration, monitoring and evaluation of Child Protection programme/project activities, data analysis and progress reporting, and commitment for enhancement of teamwork and capacity building, in support of achievement of planned objectives of the work plan, aligned with country programme goals and strategy. The following are the key functions of the post:
- Supports the availability of accurate, complete and up-to-date information required for effective Child Protection programme and project design, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation. Draft sound Child Protection programme budgets for review by the supervisor; provide support for the sharing of information with relevant partners, as required.
- Enhances project efficiency and effectiveness through implementation follow-on activities with various partners, including monitoring UNICEF inputs, local conditions and resources, flow of supply and non-supply assistance and Child Protection project status.
- Analyzes collected data and information and prepare progress reports; draft changes in Child Protection project work plans and assist in identification of required supplies and equipment as well as in the drafting of Country Programme Recommendation and other project documentation, assuring accuracy and consistency with established rules, regulations and plans of action; and provide support as required for consultation with partners on planning and implementation of Country Programme activities.
- Ensures the appropriateness of financial, administrative and supply documentation; verify that Child Protection project expenditures are within allotments and that data is consistent with the project information and database (e.g., VISION, FLS). Follow up on queries including with and by partners or initiate corrective action on discrepancies.
- Compiles Child Protection project implementation training and orientation materials to promote knowledge sharing with donors and media and all other stakeholders.
- Ensures the effective communication and networking developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration with all stakeholders.
- Collaborates with Operations staff to implement internal controls systems and resolve day to-day issues or discrepancies in financial or supply management; and provide support for orientation and training of Government and all UNICEF implementing partners in UNICEF financial and supply policies and procedures.
- Team with local Government counterparts to exchange information on Child Protection project implementation and status as well as movement and distribution of supplies.
- Collaborates with members of the development community, including NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the exchange of information relating to Child Protection sector; and provide support for strengthening the coordination among child protection system actors, including when appropriate the IASC protection sub cluster during preparedness and response to emergencies.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree in Social sciences, law or child development or any other relevant field.
- One year of relevant professional work experience.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Arabic, both oral and written is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are:
- Formulating strategies and concepts (I)
- Analyzing (II)
- Applying technical expertise (II)
- Learning and researching (II)
- Planning and organizing (II)
View our competency framework at: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted to advance to the n
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Sanaa (Yemen)
- Grade: NO-A, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Junior level
- Children's rights (health and protection)
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2018-10-02