Shelter & WASH Project Manager (INTERNAL CANDIDATES ONLY) - Syria
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Please note that this position is only open to internal applicants. We welcome applications from qualified and interested candidates who are internal to the Syria Response Office.
Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the Shelter and WASH Project Manager position is to implement a growing Shelter and WASH project portfolio in northwest Syria. With the current developments in the field NRC’s Shelter and WASH projects are addressing acute emergency, life-saving needs as well as gearing up for medium term transition into interventions that would serve durable solutions.
This position will manage a shelter team and a WASH team through a support from one coordinator and will serve to ensure consistency of implementation and full donor compliance. This position will also be tasked to ensure that the projects are implemented through remote management systems that provides support to the staff in the field as well as links project management with the field offices.
In addition to project delivery, the position contributes to the broader Syria Response country-level programme development in collaboration with the Shelter & WASH Specialist.
The following is a brief description of the role.
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures;
- Contribute to the development of Country, Area and Shelter and WASH strategies, initiate and participate in the development of relevant projects;
- Coordinate and manage Shelter and WASH project implementation in northwest Syria (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements;
- Implement technical direction and ensure high technical quality of projects;
- Provide regular progress reports to the Area Program Manager and the Shelter and WASH Specialist;
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist;
- Develop and manage project budget (in cooperation with relevant staff) and coordinate across CCs;
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills;
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders;
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy;
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Jordan (Jordan)
- Grade: Mid level
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Project and Programme Management
- Human Settlements (Shelter, Housing, Land, Property)
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-10-01