Senior Information Management Officer
medair gso | Lausanne | Switzerland
Senior Information Management Officer
As Senior Information Management (IM) Officer you identify new tools and solution for data collection, data processing and data reporting enabling our field staff to deliver high-quality services to our beneficiaries. Make these tools available to the programmes and train staff in the use and maintenance of these tools. Advise and train the organization on reporting and data-driven decision making processes with the goal to increase the data-literacy of the whole organization.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our GSO and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes and to recruit international and GSO staff. The ITS department develops a stable and standardized ICT infrastructure in the GSO and Medair’s field locations, following the ITS strategy and roadmap.
Workplace & Conditions
Medair GSO, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
- This is a GSO based position in Lausanne Switzerland, with up to 20% field visits.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
November 2018. Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
Global Information Management Support
- Work with the Global IM Coordinator and the IM Team on projects focussed on the field programmes.
- Communicate to country management and country advisors on the services offered by the global team.
- Search for opportunities to improve IM processes in-country by implementing IM tools.
- Communicate on best practices and manage change.
- Liaise with the infrastructure team to ensure the architecture supports the services.
- Establish relationships with key private and non-profit sector regarding new IM approaches, technologies, initiatives, and best practices.
- Represent Medair at relevant conferences, coordination meetings, and donor presentations to showcase best practices and innovations in Information Management and learn from peer agencies.
Data Literacy & IM Innovation
- Develop and implement a Data Literacy program designed to improve data-driven decisions making skills for all levels within Medair.
- Organize trainings and provide self-training materials and tools for the organization.
- Work with the Innovation Advisor to raise awareness on IM innovation initiatives.
- Investigate opportunities for Medair to adopt new technologies within the IM domain, and work with field teams and partners to design proof of concepts.
- Work with International department to implement and maintain solutions to report on:
- Global quality indicators, e.g., Sphere, Quality Performance Indicators.
- Beneficiary feedback.
- Security incidents.
- Work with the global Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) advisor to integrate the process from data collection to indicators reporting.
- Support M&E initiatives rolling out IM tools in coordination with the global IM team.
Global Emergency Response Support
- Ensure the ITS team is continuously “sudden on-set ready” by performing periodic checks, follow up on lessons learned actions.
- Support and advise the Global Emergency Response Team (G-ERT) in the survey, selection, and implementation of ITS tools and procedures.
- Act as ITS focal point during the first days / weeks of sudden onset (willingness to voluntarily work off hours as needed for a short period). Support the deployed G-ERT in their IM activities.
Innovation / Changes
- The holder of this position is required to keep an overview on new IM solutions and propose changes to improve the IM toolkit and organizational IM skill set.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Bachelor degree in Information Science; Master’s degree desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 3 – 5 years of experience within Information Management domain, experience with NGO desirable.
- Excellent understanding of data model designs and principles.
- Excellent skills in data manipulation and query languages.
- Good knowledge of relational database systems and application development principles.
- Desired experience with BI tools, e.g., Qlik, IM Tools, e.g., Open Data Kit, XML and scripting languages.
- Design and provide training on all levels.
- Self-propelled person that likes to work. Willingness to work for the mission of Medair.
- Servant Leadership. Challenging others and being challenged in return.
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills.
- Flexible and resilient team player with a positive and can-do attitude when tackling day-to-day tasks.