Communications and Engagement Analyst
Over the past decade, Timor-Leste has created the preconditions for successful development. It has emerged from a crisis of internal violence and political instability in 2006-2007, built a coalition government, and increased tangible services for the population. Thus, it has achieved hard-won political stability and built confidence in the state. Although still classified as a Least Developed Country (LDC) Timor-Leste achieved lower middle-income status in 2011. Nonetheless, poverty remains persistently high. While a greater proportion of poor reside in rural areas, the high rate of rural to urban migration underscores the need to address the emerging issue of urban poverty.
The National Strategic Development Plan 2011-2030 (SDP) of Timor-Leste launched in 2011 stresses the need to diversify its economy through developing non-oil based economic sectors. The current economic structure with high level of reliance on petroleum sector and it’s fund has led to the inability of Timorese economy to absorb young and local low skilled-labors; in particular, the rural population and women, which are considered as marginalized and least participating in the economic growth of the country. The SDP also prioritizes development of rural communities in which 70% of population resides. Timor-Leste has embraced the SDGs and aligned the National Indicators and priorities. UNDP plays an important role of advocacy and provides manful policy advice and technical assistance. Communicating results and the impact of our work is an integral part of engaging beneficiaries, stakeholders and donors.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Provide support to the development of communications plans. Assist with analysis. Help develop a plan with clear approach and targets
- Work with project staff to improve the capacity to communicate on-the go projects news and activities through social media.
- Help design engagement events
- Provision of top-quality advisory services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge management
1. Ensures implementation of support to the development of communications plans focusing on achievement of the following results:
Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of plans. Analysis and synthesis of proposals on the areas for support and interventions within the communication.
2. Work with project staff to improve the capacity to communicate on-the go projects news and activities through social media:
Monitoring the social media, news and processes going on in country. Improving the communication thru networks with communities
3. Help design engagement events:
Assist to Supervisor or any HQ to organize events, conferences or any official meetings.
4. Provides top quality advisory services to the Government and ensures facilitation of knowledge and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
Identification of sources of information related to communications issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country communication goals. Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice. Professional growth through active learning.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Ppreparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Integrity and professionalism: demonstrated expertise in area of specialty and ability to apply good judgment; high degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures in a politically sensitive environment, while exercising discretion, impartiality and neutrality; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented.
- Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to conduct presentations, articulate options and positions concisely; ability to make and defend recommendations; ability to communicate and empathize with staff (including national staff), military personnel, volunteers, counterparts and local interlocutors coming from very diverse backgrounds; ability to maintain composure and remain helpful towards the staff, but objective, without showing personal interest; capacity to transfer information and knowledge to a wide range of different target groups
- Accountability: mature and responsible; ability to operate in compliance with organizational rules and regulations
- Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities
- Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards the UN core values
- Flexibility, adaptability, and ability and willingness to operate independently in austere, remote and potentially hazardous environments for protracted periods, involving physical hardship and little comfort, and including possible extensive travel within the area of operations; willingness to transfer to other duty stations within area of operations as may be necessary
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor or master’s degree in Communication, media relations, journalism, publishing, public relations or related field.
- 4 years of relevance experience with bachelor’s degree or 2 years relevance experience with master’s degree at the national or international level in supporting development and implementation of media and communications strategies desirable:
- Experience with social media and marketing design, graphic design and digital communications
- Experience in usage of computers and office software packages and photography
- Fluency in the English and national language of the duty station.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.