Communication Consultant, Web and Social Media in Tbilisi, Georgia
Communication Consultant, Web and Social Media in Tbilisi, Georgia
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Under the guidance of the communication team of UNICEF Georgia, the Communication Assistant for web and social media is responsible for the design, management, maintenance, implementation, and continuous improvement of UNICEF's digital plan to maximize its online presence, considering the increasing role and changing requirements of the social media.
Key End Results Organizational Context:
- Social Media Strategy: The Country Office has a clear Social Media strategy and associated work plan with the aim of increased positioning of UNICEF Georgia as a knowledge hub on children's issues and for achieving its policy and advocacy objectives. The strategy should have M&E framework and established KPIs to track the progress.
- Social Media Strategy Implementation: The Country Office has a fully operationalized social media function. The Communication Consultant is primarily responsible for coordinating UNICEF's social media presence in a number of digital platforms (such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc).
- Campaigns with social media strategy: The Country Office has a social media component for awareness raising and public advocacy campaigns.
- Website: The UNICEF Country office has a fully developed website as a strategic communication, information and knowledge management tool, optimized for knowledge transfer, information sharing, branding, campaigns and fundraising.
Scope of Work
The Social Media Editor is responsible for creating and crafting compelling digital content which engages audiences in a dynamic, interactive and meaningful way and sparks conversations around issues related to UNICEF's mandate. She/he will play a leading role in managing UNICEF's online presence on a wide range of social media platforms and guiding wider digital editorial processes. They will lead on the creation and coordination of social media strategies and campaigns, monitoring and analysis, and moderation of platforms. Working under the supervision of the Communication Officer, the Web and Social Media Consultant will have plenty of opportunities to step up and drive projects, and will serve as one of UNICEF's key team members in its digital outreach.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contributes to the development of the UNICEF Georgia online strategy, with specific emphasis on content, to gather online and offline supporters and stimulate engagement with issues affected children and women in Georgia.
- Regularly comes up with ideas for engaging social media content and campaigns, working with relevant colleagues to obtain necessary information and stories.
- Proactively writes and gathers editorial content (text, images, audio, video, etc.) and adapts for web and social media;
- Maintains a web and social media weekly/monthly calendars of content themes and all upcoming coverage schedules according to the calendar.
- Prepares and publishes content to website, social media accounts (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.);
- Identifies new digital tools and best practices and how these can be most effectively applied to deepen engagement with supporters.
- Actively engages with online audiences through social media channels;
- Manages Country Office website through web-based content management system on a daily basis; ensures key deadlines are met for the dissemination of time-sensitive content;
- Generates and analyses reports on web traffic using Google Analytics and other social media focused analytics channels. Develops M&E framework for the social media strategy and regularly tracks KPIs to monitor the progress.
- Ensures search engine optimization.
- Maps relevant internet bloggers and influencers and creates relevant linkages.
- Conducts trainings and provides support to other sections in need of understanding better how digital and social media plays a role in the context of the office.
- Participates in planning and attends all the major events undertaken by UNICEF Georgia.
- Contributes to the annual communication strategy and provides monthly social media plans based on the priorities and agreed strategy.
Qualifications and Experience:
University degree in a relevant field communications, journalism, marketing, social studies.
- At least 5 years' experience as a web content manager, digital manager, and/or social media manager, preferably with a development organization;
- Experience developing compelling content to generate response from new online audiences;
- 5 years' journalism experience, and of writing features for the web;
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining social media accounts (as user, manager and/or contributor), especially Facebook and Twitter, as well as experience with new media executions; knowledge and understanding of Web 2.0 as well as local and global digital landscape and trends;
- Previous UNICEF, UN and/or INGO experience in a similar role is highly desirable.
Fluency in both written and spoken Georgian and English is essential.
Excellent English writing, editing, and proofreading skills, including experience writing for the web and social media;
- Experience with web-based content management systems;
- Good working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and/or Adobe Lightroom;
- Good working knowledge of search engine optimization and search engine marketing;
- Knowledge of Google Analytics and social media monitoring tools a plus;
- Knowledge of basic audio and video editing (e.g. Adobe Premiere, Moviemaker, Final Cut Pro) a plus;
- Well-developed organizational and communication/interpersonal skills required;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural team and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization;
- Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF's mission and professional values.
- Knowledge of UNICEF, United Nations or other international organizations a great asset; knowledge and understanding of child development programmes including health, education and child protection, would also be helpful.
The consultant will be based in the UNICEF Georgia Office for half a day to work closely with the Communication Officer and other specialists. S/he will also work online as needed.
15 November 2018 15 October 2019
Supervision and Reporting Responsibility:
Day-to-day work is supervised by the UNICEF communication officer. Overall supervision is with UNICEF Representative.
Summary of Main Actions, Deliverables and timelines
- Upload materials (press-releases, surveys, photos, videos, publications etc.) as required on the website in consultation with UNICEF communication officer. Reformat the materials to be uploaded to web and social media platforms to make them compatible with the required format - Based on the need
- Regularly update social media platforms like Facebook, YouTube, twitter, Issuu in consultation with UNICEF communication officer. - Minimum two Facebook posts per day. The rest when needed
- Visit events like conferences, trainings and other events to ensure online coverage on fb, when needed - Upon agreement with UNICEF.
- Ensure that processes are in place to maintain interactivity of web/social media on an on-going basis - Regular
- Continue web optimization to maximize ranking in search engines Regular
- Make recommendations (short- and long-term) and implement redesign of web and other social media sites. As per need
- Develop an annual strategy for social media as part of the communication strategy December
- Provide detailed social media plans based on the priorities and agreed strategy weekly/monthly
- Provide monthly reports summarizing web and social media traffic details, audience research, progress in realizing KPIs and web statistics Monthly
- Provide annual report resuming social media traffic details, audience research, progress in realizing KPIs and web statistics - December
The payments will be effected at the end of each month upon the successful completion of the requested tasks and submission and endorsement of the relevant monthly reports.