UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
In the framework of the Jordan Response Plan 2018-2020 to the Syria Crisis (JRP), UN Women works at multiple levels to respond to the specific needs of Syrian refugee women and vulnerable Jordanian women. UN Women runs four Oasis Resilience and Empowerment centers for women and girls in Azraq and Za’atari refugee camps, which provide multi-sectoral services including livelihoods support, GBV prevention and awareness and civic engagement opportunities. The overall goal of UN Women’s interventions is to empower vulnerable women through increased access to opportunities and meaningful engagement in community life.
In this framework, UN Women is seeking to recruit a Field Officer who will lead execution of overall activities at field level, ensure coordination, and facilitate smooth and effective implementation of projects in the camps and non-camp settings. The Field Officer will work under the supervision and guidance of the Recovery Specialist and will supervise camp staff. The Field Officer has daily contacts with staff in the camp and with functional units at the Country Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Recovery Specialist, the Field Officer will do the following:
Support camp team coordination and management:
- Coordinate the team in the field, by ensuring coherent implementation of all tasks;
- Ensure that all camp staff members are informed and aware about programme outcomes and outputs and supported in their daily activities;
- Support camp team work and effective collaboration with refugees in the centers;
- Provide coaching support to camp team members as needed.
Oversee and ensure timely and effective implementation:
- Prepare field activities work plans and ensure their timely implementation;
- Support daily implementation, operation and administrative activities at camp level;
- Identify procurement needs and ensure timely submission in coordination with the Programme Associate;
- Supervise service and construction contracts at camp level and ensure the achievement of the deliverables as well as timely payments;
- Ensure the respect of UN women rules and regulations in relation to the use of petty cash, advances and other procurement and financial activities at field level;
- Ensure the respect of camp SoPs in managing cash for work, protection and other SoPs relevant to UN Women programme;
- Support the identification, referral and response of protection cases, in collaboration with the camp team;
- Support the development of new programme components and initiatives instrumental to achievement of programme objectives.
Support the development of partnerships and liaise with stakeholders:
- Support the Recovery Specialist in the development of partnerships with NGOs, UN agencies as well as with the local Government;
- Support the development of plans for building the capacities of local partners in relevant subjects;
- Support coordination with other partners at camp level and participate in relevant working groups and coordination meetings;
- Support UN Women advocacy at camp level;
- Maintain regular communications for partners and stakeholders and ensure effective coordination;
- Support the preparation of donors and partners field visits;
- Attend camp level coordination meetings as needed.
Support Information collection and management:
- Ensure that all cash for work database is duly updated and stored;
- Support camps documents proper filing;
- Ensure that all information related to camp activities are duly collected and recorded and report about all programme indicators;
- Ensure that all protection cases are properly documented in collaboration with the camp team and ensure the respect of information confidentiality.
Any other business:
- Support the Recovery Specialist in any other activity for the successful implementation of the programme.
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Respect for Diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Good knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment issues;
- Good knowledge of Jordan’s humanitarian context;
- Good knowledge of results-based planning and management;
- Good analytical skills;
- Ability to provide advice and support.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in social sciences or related fields.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in administration and coordination
- Experience working on project implementation in a humanitarian setting is required
- Experience working on gender equality and women’s empowerment is required
- Fluency in Arabic and English is required