Regional ICT Specialist
Panama City (Panama)
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the overall guidance of the LCR Regional Director, the primary supervision of LCR Coordinator of Regional Activities). The Regional ICT Specialist is responsible for coordinating, implementing and strengthening Information Communications and Technology support services, operations and initiatives in the Latin-American and Caribbean Region (LCR). The Regional ICT Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations.
The role needs to understand effective usage of modern collaboration and productivity solutions, and be effective in supporting, rolling out, and best utilizing such platforms.
The Regional ICT Specialist will act as second supervisor of other ICT personnel in the LCR region. The individual in this position will work in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and project teams in the LCR Regional Office, LCR Operations/Project Centres and UNOPS HQ ICT Unit ensuring successful performance in ICT management.
The incumbent in this position will perform the following core ICT functions:
(i) Regional Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) support to LCR’s locations and assurance against corporate standards
Provides regional leadership and management of the ICT function focusing on the following results:
- Coordinating the region ICT network, acting as a mentor and providing expert guidance on relevant functional and technical matters.
- Influencing continuous learning and development opportunities to strengthen ICT network capacities
- Acting as secondary supervisor of ICT focal points, which includes working in collaboration with primary supervisor on setting objectives, performance measurements, standards and results expected to ensure timely and client focused services.
- Ensure that ICT focal points are engaged in continuous learning of ICT technologies
- Acting as a liaison between LCR and FG ICT Unit in Copenhagen with regard to any ICT project, coordinating implementation and meeting minimum corporate ICT standards.
- Promoting LCR ICT network teamwork and collaboration
- Fostering a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
Provides functional and technical expertise to the ICT function focusing on the following results:
- Providing expertise and expert guidance to LCR ICT network in all areas with an emphasis on implementing ICT corporate operations quality guidelines and standards including network management, cybersecurity, continuity/disaster recovery risks, business continuity and contingency plans, etc.
- Working closely with FG ICT unit to assure all systems are in line with ICT's long-term strategy
- Working closely with LCR ICT network and HoSS to oversee the planning of ICT infrastructure requirements and serve as ICT technical advisor
- Checking and ensuring compliance with relevant ICT standards, policies and procedures
Embeds relevant knowledge management and innovation within the ICT function by contributing to the development of internal capacity across the organization in the area of ICT and sharing good practices and lessons learnt with LCR ICT network.
(ii) Effectively coordinate in the rollout and support of relevant technology platforms. Act as an ambassador and resource to ensure that all users in the region are best able to utilize tools available to address business needs.
(iii) Acts as ICT focal point for the implementation of ICT operation standards in support to the two offices located in Panama: (1) Latin America and Caribbean Regional Office and (2) Panama Project Centre. As required may temporarily provide support in the capacity of ICT focal point to other LCR office.
(iv) Provides technical support to portfolio development at regional level focusing in the following results:
- Scoping of ICT demands in projects.
- Contributing to proposal development through advice on scope, budget, timeline and quality of ICT components.
- Developing and/or reviewing requirements for the procurement of projects ICT equipment.
- Implementation support to ICT related projects.
- Contribute to portfolio development of ICT projects in the different countries in the region. This may involve travel and meetings with UNOPS partners.
(v) Other functions related to the role as required by the primary or secondary supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Technology Management, Mathematics or other relevant discipline is required. A master’s Degree is desired
- Technical education in combination with additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor's degree
- Minimum four (4) years of experience required in the area of ICT
- Experience with managing and maintaining enterprise-level infrastructure is required
- Experience with managing and maintaining enterprise-level software / business applications is required
- Experience in rolling out new technologies to users and managing transition issues is required
- Experience with Google productivity technologies such as G Suite/Drive/Docs/Sheets/Slides/Forms/Chromebooks a distinct advantage
- Must be fluent in Spanish
- Must have an intermediate level in English. An advanced level is an asset.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: Local ICA Specialist 9
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Work life harmonization: UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time, 5 PM, Panama City time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.