Pretoria (South Africa)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the guidance and supervision of the UN Women Representative, the Executive Assistant provides a variety of executive administrative support in the Office of the UN Women Representative. S/he facilitates the efficient flow of information and communication within the Office of the UN Women Representative to ensure expeditious dissemination of information and timely action.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide administrative support to the UN Women Representative’s Office
- Facilitate effective communications and information management support to the office
- Administrative Support to external relations activities
1. Provide administrative support to the UN Women Representative
- Provide administrative support to the UN Women Representative and Deputy Representative ensuring the smooth and efficient functioning of the UN Women Representative's office,
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-points and other for the UN Women Representative.
- Support the UN Women Representative and Deputy Representative in managing calendar and schedule of appointments and meetings.
- Arrange travel/hotel accommodations and other logistics for the UN Women Representative/Deputy Representative.
- Under the guidance of the Operations unit, undertake logistical administrative and financial arrangements, for meetings, events and workshops organized by the UN Women Representative’s Office.
- Administer and manage the office leave plans and attendance system.
- Maintain the roster of the UN Women Representative's contacts for easy access and reference.
2. Facilitate effective communications and information management support
- Facilitate the flow of information/communication between the UN Women Representative’s Office and other Units within and outside UN Women office and enhance this flow of information/communication as needed.
- Review, prioritize and route correspondence to and from the Office of the UN Women Representative. Follow-up action and keep the UN Women Representative informed.
- Review correspondence for proper internal clearances prior to the UN Women Representative's signature.
- Respond and/or direct inquiries to the appropriate UN Women Unit for timely action and/or response.
- Maintain and organize up to date hard and electronic files for easy access and retrieval. Ensure safekeeping of confidential materials.
3. Support to external relations activities
- Support the UN Women Representative’s interaction with various external partners such as governmental officials, donors, civil society, UN agencies and other partners through collaborative and proactive relationship with counterparts and colleagues in those offices.
- Responsible for protocol matters, receive high ranking officials, and answer calls/inquiries with tact and discretion.
- Organize official events/hospitality for the UN Women Representative.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the UN Women Representative’s office and the Multi Country Office. Accurate support and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the UN Women Representative’s office and promotes the image of UN Women as an effective contributor to the development of the country.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the UN Women Representative's office, including data/schedule management, maintenance of protocol and information flow
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work
- Creates, edits and presents information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Ability to establish, builds and sustains effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client's perspective; anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Ability to administer financial processes and transactions
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
Completion of secondary education required.
University degree or equivalent in Business or Public Administration is an asset.
4 years of progressively responsible experience with administrative tasks.
Experience in the use of computers applications and software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) as well as web-based management systems.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
This position is open to South African nationals and valid work permit holders only.