Laundry Services Support Staff
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under the supervision of the Laundry Services Supervisor, the Laundry Services Support Staff has the responsibility for supporting the development and implementation of the sanitation and hygiene activities in Skaramagas site and most specifically the Laundry Operations. He /She will be required to operate and monitor the Landry facilities.
The laundry is managed by a team of one Laundry Service Supervisor & two or more Support Staff in charge of the functioning of the washers and dryers in accompaniment to the users.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate the voucher Distribution Process (voucher request / distribution / registration / activation / renewal & usage
- Facilitate the Token Distribution
- Performs checks of the above during entrance
- Performs specific tasks in accordance with daily work as assigned and in accordance with established housekeeping and laundry procedures. (opening, operation, closing, maintenance of the facilities).
- Monitors any issues regarding facilities care & maintenance and reports to Laundry Services Spervisor
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established facilities
- Facilitate the cleaning of the premises
- Assist DRC field staff with interpretation, if required
- Any other tasks as may be assigned
- Excellent verbal and written Arabic and/or Kurmanji skills are required; Good knowledge of verbal and written English is essential.
- Knowledge of additional languages (e.g. French) will be highly appreciated.
- Previous work or experience in the humanitarian sector will be considered a strong advantage
- Computer skills are considered an asset
Skills & Qualities
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Ability to establish professional boundaries and act with professionalism
- Ability to work with vulnerable individuals, from children to elderly
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values, as well as interpretation ethics
- Able to remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the DRC values and ethical standards
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Demonstrates openness to fast-changing conditions and ability to manage complexities
Terms and Conditions
The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in Attika (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on the 23rd of October 2018.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.