Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe. We provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the job:
The Emergency Officer is part of the Emergency Team and he/she is responsible for implementing DRC Afghanistan’s emergency project activities in the field. A key member of the team, Emergency Officer needs to combine her/his experience of emergency programming with good needs, assessment, distribution of cash and relief items and monitoring capabilities in order to meet the project objectives. The Emergency Officer works under the supervision of the Emergency Team Leader. S/he reports to the Emergency Team Leader.
- Coordinating, leading and conducting rapid needs assessments in the field using HEAT tools;
- Mapping of protection services actors in his/her area;
- Establish good contact and linkages with other humanitarian actors in the field;
- Beneficiary selection processes;
- Coordinating, conducting emergency field distributions (Cash and NFIs);
- Planning and implementation of activities;
- conducting Rapid Market assessments;
- Data collection, both through paper based and digital forms;
- Conducting Post Distribution Monitoring if required line close coordination with M&E Officer;
- Produce basic reports on needs assessments and proposed responses;
- Travel within and out the region to support the emergency Field all over the Country;
- When requested, join a DRC flying team and be ready to be re-allocated for short period and with short notice, outside the normal area of operation (within the country);
- Any other tasks assigned by supervisor.
Key Deliverables: (in bullet points)
- Good quality assessment data;
- Basic assessment reports with clear finding and recommendations;
- Effective and efficient representation of DRC in humanitarian at field/provincial level;
- Timely PDMs of distribution line close coordination with M&E Officer.
To be successful in this role you must have:
Education & Qualification:
- High School Graduate (essential);
- Bachelor on social sciences(Desired).
- At least 3 years’ experience within humanitarian work, prior experience, IDP or natural disasters responses is desirable;
- At least 1 years experience in engagement with community.
- Excellent spoken and written English;
- Full command to communicate in both Dari and Pashto.
DRC core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
- Collaboration: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC-DDG vision and values.
- Availability: As soon as possible.
- Duty station: Area Office West - Herat.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a Contract until 31st December 2018, extendable depending on funding availability and performance.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National staff. This position will be placed at salary D1 – 38000 AFN.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on Apply button. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Applications close 27th October 2018. However, please note due to the urgency of this position, shortlisting process will be ongoing. Should we find qualified candidates prior to expiry of this advert, interviews will be held immediately.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Herat (Afghanistan)
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Medical Practitioners
- Closing Date: 2018-10-27