1869 - Project Assistant, Accelerating the Implementation of SDGs by the Serbian Parliament
To support implementation of activities on the Accelerating the Implementation of SDGs by the Serbian Parliament Project.
To contribute to results oriented, effective, efficient and accountable implementation of the project activities and achievement of planned results.
c. Background Information
UNDP implements projects and programmes within the scope of the Country Program Document 2016-2020 (CPD). The CPD is guided by the National Priorities for International Assistance (2014-2017) and builds on results achieved to date. The focus of the new programme is on: (a) accountable and representative governance institutions serving people; (b) equal participation for women and lives free of violence; (c) inclusive and sustainable growth; and (d) low-carbon and climate-resilient development.
UNDP has made a significant contribution towards the country’s development by supporting social accountability in governance, including accountability of office holders to their electorate and in public finances. Collaboration between National Assembly, independent oversight bodies and citizens has significantly improved. Public hearings, mobile committee sessions and web-based dicussions became standard practice enabling citizens to participate and voice their concerns.
Going forward, the National Assembly and municipal legislatures will be key partners in advancing social accountability and enhanced representation of elected officials; innovation and social media will be used to enhance transparency of institutions and dialogue with citizens.
UNDP will continue supporting institutional accountability and transparency, fulfilment of government austerity measures and development of capacities required for the accession to the European Union. Improving citizen participation, voice and accountability and rebuilding a more inclusive social contract is inherent to that process.
UNDP supports parliamentary development in over 70 countries. Strengthening the Oversight Function and Transparency of the Parliament (2nd phase) project is funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and responds to the need of the National Assembly to increase its representative and legislative scrutiny functions. The goal is to bring MPs and local assemblies closer to their electorate and improve practices and oversight on both national and local level.
The project contains four components:
- Advancing National Assembly’s representative role;
- Strengthening oversight of the National Assembly through selection of oversight tools and innovations; and
- Developing local assemblies’ oversight and representation functions.
- Accelerating the Implementation of SDGs Along Two Streams: by the Serbian Parliament and by the Office of the Prime Minister
The Project Assistant will work under guidance and direct supervision of the Portfolio Manager for Inclusive Political Processes in implementing the component d.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Assistant is responsible for day-to-day support to implementation of the “Accelerating the Implementation of SDGs Along Two Streams: by the Serbian Parliament and by the Office of the Prime Minister” project activities:
Specific responsibilities will include the following:
Provide support to Portfolio Manager in managing project activities by liaising with partners, donors, beneficiaries and other stakeholders on project matters:
- Day-to-day support to the Portfolio Manager and Project Manager for Local Assemblies;
- Compile data and search documents and information that could be relevant for project management;
- Support in coordination of meetings, training sessions, conferences and other project activities;
- Prepare meeting minutes.
Provide support to Portfolio Manager in project administration:
- Assist portfolio and project teams, including consultants, in procurement, logistics, travel, financial and other operational matters;
- Establish and maintain filing system, incoming and outgoing correspondence etc.;
- Provide inputs for timely reporting to the donor;
- Assist in project planning and reporting;
- Assist overall administrative activities;
- Collect, analyse and present the background information for preparation of annual work plans and progress reports;
- Provide inputs for developent of project monitoring and evaluation framework;
- Project related correspondence and minutes prepared and calendar of events maintained;
- Draft Terms of References, as required.
Provide support to logistics and organization of events:
- Follow up with (sub)contractors ensuring that they deliver on time;
- Ensuring full compliance of activities with UNDP rules, regulations, and policies;
- Assist project procurement processes. Provide inputs for UNDP procurement plan;
- Prepare ad-hoc projects’ information as requested by the Implementing Partner or UNDP;
- Communication with national partners and in particular MPs during events such as mobile committee session;
- Performing other tasks/duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results
- Project documentation timely prepared;
- Project, finance and personnel records/files regularly updated and maintained;
- Quality of relations maintained with national partners;
- Effective support in travel and logistics provided to team members and consultants;
- Quality of written inputs for reports, minutes and other regular project documentation;
- Office systems and filing procedure related to the project managed and carried out.
- Good organizational and time management skills;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling ethical standards;
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Excellent information technology skills, including word processing, database applications, presentation software, and internet;
- Display discretion and courtertesy with national partners and on issue dealth with Project especially on matters related to sensitive questions;
- Compliance with UNDP rules, regulations and policies of financial activities ensured;
- Abilitiy and willingness to travel in and out of country (this may be quite extensive due to the work with all municipal assemblies and mobile committee sessions);
- Inclubment may not be affiliated to any political option due to specificity of working in highly politicized environment.
Required Skills and Experience
- Highschool degree. Bachelor degree is asset however it may not be regarded without the working experience.
- At least 4 years of experience in administrative office work. Previous experience in governmental, international or non-governmental settings would be an asset;
- Experience in organizational activities; evidence of ability to express ideas clearly; to work independently and in teams; to demonstrate a sense of self-assuredness combined with cultural and gender sensitivities;
- Experience in working on capacity development of national institution, preferably in international/multilateral development context;
- Familiarity with ATLAS system is an asset;
- Understanding of current policies and legislation on parliamentary development in Serbia;
- Knowledge in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web based management systems.
- Ability to work and coordinate with various institutional partners, deliver when working under pressure and within changing circumstances;
- Excellent organisational, analytical and presentation skills.
Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Serbian and English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Belgrade (Serbia)
- Grade: SB-2 (SC3/SC4), Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Democratic Governance
- Project and Programme Management
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Administrative support
- Public Policy and Administration
- Closing Date: 2018-10-25