ICT Associate G6 (R369,277- R437,178 g.p.a)
Pretoria (South Africa)
Under the supervision of the ICT Associate, the ICT Assistant’s role is to provide technical, operational and procedural support and end-user services in the implementation, maintenance and improvement of information technology systems, procedures and activities of the office, in accordance with the ICT work plan
The ICT Assistant works in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations teams including all users supported by the CO in resolving complex ICT-related issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Timely and effective support is provided to the continuity of ICT services in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the CO technology environment.
- Administration and maintenance of application, messaging and file & print servers
- Maintain user accounts on network, messaging system and corporate applications
- Maintain access rights on network shared drive and corporate applications
- Prepare and monitor the service contracts on ICT related services
- Provide input and support to Business Continuity Plan
- Repair/troubleshot computer hardware and if required send to vendor/supplier for services
- Identification and implementation of innovative uses of the LAN which would enhance the CO’s effectiveness
2. Timely and effective support is provided on an on-going basis by performing first and second line support functions
- Installation and configuration of new equipment and systems and corrective actions in case of failure.
- Maintenance of servers and all LAN equipment, periodically updating software and configurations as well as the copies of the systems and data bases.
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access; assistance to staff in the use of network resources.
- installation of corporate, commercial and in-house developed software packages and related upgrades.
- Technical support to the CO staff in the operation of new corporate and commercial software introduced.
- Assistance in data access, file transfers and conversions.
- Maintenance of a log of reported problems and corrective measures taken.
- Assist staff during Meetings
- Backstopping for other agencies on absence of their IT staff.
3. Supports networks administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems: file server traffic, usage and performance, network security access and space usage. Follow up with staff for corrective measures
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access.
- Assistance in backup and restoration procedures for local drives. Maintenance of backup logs. Assistance to organization of off-site storage of backups.
- Virus detection, removal and prevention for all systems in the CO. Updated virus detection and removal software.
- Configure the VOIP through Virtual server.
- Run Telephone report
4. Provides web management services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collaborate with Operations and Programme staff on web applications
- Development of any online tools that would simplify several services that are offered by the country office
- Support the office move to E-documentation strategy through development of necessary online tools to facilitate its implementation e.g. Host to host, E-Tendering and E-Registry
- Develop and maintain a project-wide knowledge management system that can capture, organize, and develop information and knowledge
- Train staff to properly use knowledge management systems and serve as the point-of-contact for those knowledge management systems, ensuring the platform is sufficient for multi-stakeholder collaboration;
- Design, manage and deploy SharePoint solutions, applications, site collections, sites
- Analyze functional requirements and translate them into SharePoint solutions
- Business Process Automation / Workflow Analysis, Design, and Development
- Systems Integration with SharePoint, Cloud Storage, Business Intelligence, and other Applications
5. Documentation and training of the ICT processes and procedures is provided to maintain internal knowledge continuity and competency, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure ICT processes and procedures are well documented and kept up to date.
- Provide support in the training, development and distribution of user instructions and other related materials. Classifies and maintains the documents on the database, SharePoint and ISK (Intranet Starter Kit).
- Develop training plans and conducts training to ensure appropriate level of knowledge on the ICT issues. Helps develop technical documents and manuals.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary education with relevant certifications in hardware and software management and computer application package such as Office 365.A+ and MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)/ MCSA (Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate) is required. University Degree in Computer Science is a desirable, but it is not a requirement. Knowledge in Active Directory and SharePoint is an added advantage. Proficiency in SharePoint 2013/2016 and SharePoint online
6 years of relevant working experience, including network administration, support to management of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.