Programme Associate (M&E Database Developer) SC6-Damascus- VA083-2018
Damascus (Syria) | syrian arab republic
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting
diversity and gender balance.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
From 22 October 2018 till 5 November 2018
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
These jobs are found in Regional Bureaux (RBs), Country Offices (COs), Area/Field Offices (AOs/FOs). Job holders typically report to a Programme Policy Officer or Head of Field Office. At this level, job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility an d initiative to respond independently to various queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems on a daily basis. Job holders are expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate support staff.
To provide effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
· Develop Information technology solutions to support the gender-responsive Monitoring and Evaluation. Coordinate software development and integration with existing corporate systems including the food, cash distribution and monitoring databases.
· Data management: Follow-up on collection, storage, distribution, integration and application of information and knowledge management in the programme unit.
· Monitoring tools: Design gender-responsive monitoring questionnaires in a selected data collection tool, set conditions and ensure alignment to draft paper-based versions. Provide feedback and suggestions to the
· Country Office M&E unit on the draft design and conditions set in the paper-based version to ensure full alignment prior to testing. Receive feedback from enumerators for consideration to be incorporated in consultation with the M&E Officer.
· Prepare data-sets for analysis, with appropriate formatting of the quantitative data-sets during the testing/piloting phase of questionnaires, compatibility of data-sets over time, along with setting the short labels, as per CO established standards. Extract and prepare data-sets to be analysed by the M&E unit, using analytical software (SPSS, ArcGIS).
· Implementation and management of WFP corporate monitoring and evaluation tools, including Mobile Data
· Collection and Analytics (MDCA) Syria
· Monitoring Database: Administrate, Develop and Maintain Syria Monitoring Database that is a repository of both the output data-sets, in compliance with the Gender and Age Marker (GAM) corporate requirements.
· Oversee user support and all aspects of problem management to ensure timely delivery of services at Country Office (CO) and Field Offices (FO).
· Draft standard operating procedures for the use, and prepare guidelines to document steps taken to develop in house databases.
· Coordinate software development and integration with existing WFP official corporate database systems including the food, cash distribution and monitoring databases to enable the tracking of inputs, outputs, process monitoring findings, and target achievements over time.
· Periodic Reporting: Support reconciliation of food dispatched, receipts and distribution points and the distribution reports from the cooperating partners. Support on the preparation of the monthly planned and actual 4Ws which is submitted to Food Security Cluster. Provide M&E-related inputs for the Annual Country Report (ACR).
· M&E Network and Field Coordination: Train WFP field monitors and third-party facilitators on the Country Office’s monitoring databases, and the corporate Mobile Data Collection & Analytics. Provide user support for the various M&E databases to ensure timely delivery of data at the Field Offices and Country Office.
· Conduct field visits to all field offices maintaining the direct dialogue with beneficiaries and technical support and enhanced communication with field based M&E staff. Prepare and submit Field visit report including and programmatic recommendations.
· Perform other related duties as required
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
· Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
· Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
· Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
· Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
· Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
· Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
· Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
· Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
· Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
· Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
· Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
· Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
· Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
· Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
· Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
· Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfil the needs of internal and external partners.
Capability Name Description of the behavior expected for the proficiency level
Programme Life-cycle & Food Assistance
· Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the life-cycle to inform quality programme design or redesign.
Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers)
· Demonstrates ability to implement, under guidance, food assistance programmes deploying the full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.
Broad Knowledge of Specialized Areas
· Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to food assistance
· Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.
Strategic Policy Engagement w/Government
· Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
· Proven five or more years of progressively responsible data analyst or business analyst work experience in an engaging and dynamic workplace environment.
· Technical expertise regarding data models, database design and development, data mining and segmentation techniques.
· Web Application development: PHP Zend, Python, REACT JS; not mandatory but desired
· Other computer skills include; programming (XML), big data tools (Spark, Hive HQL) etc, desired
· Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic languages
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
· Web Application development: PHP Zend, Python, REACT JS; not mandatory but desired.
· SPSS statistical software experience is beneficial
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
· Please upload your CV in English.
· Only short-listed candidates shall be contacted.
· Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once applying.
External candidates :