UN Women - Project Associate
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates the United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world.
FYR Macedonia is a signatory to a number of important and binding international documents, which guarantee the equality of women and men and prohibit gender-based discrimination. Despite the legal and policy framework, gender inequalities are present in all spheres of political and socio-economic life and impact access to opportunities and resources. Women and girls with disabilities face double or triple discrimination, based on their gender, disability and/or other characteristics, such as ethnicity, age and place of residence.
Through its programmes and projects, UN Women is providing technical assistance to national partners (governmental and non-governmental) in the implementation of existing international and national commitments to women’s rights and gender equality, it facilitates networking and exchange of good practices and advocates for women’s rights and gender equality in all areas of life. Jointly with other UN Agencies, UN Women is supporting the national stakeholders in fulfilling their commitments towards the implementation of the International Convention on the Rights of the People with Disabilities. As the lead Agency on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment, UN Women is working towards recognizing and addressing the different needs and barriers women and men, girls and boys with disabilities face in the access to education and quality services, as well as their perspectives to full integration as equal citizens in the society. UN Women, jointly with UNDP, UNICEF and UNFPA, will be implementing a Joint Project on “Deinstitutionalization of persons with disabilities in the Strumica region”. The joint project is supported by the global UN Partnership for the rights of People with Disabilities. It’s overall goal is to support persons with disabilities to realize their rights to live independently and be included in the community. Main focus of the project is on deinstitutionalization, as a lever of systemic change, to be supported through a multi-sectoral effort to strengthen the demand for and supply of gender-sensitive services aimed at realizing the rights of PwDs to independent life in the community. The project is structured around two outcomes:
- Adults and children with disabilities benefit from an improved system of support that enables them to leave closed residential institutions and pursue independent lives in the community
- Capacities of persons with disabilities to advocate for their rights is increased, and persons with disabilities find greater acceptance in their local communities
The UN Women Programme Presence in FYR Macedonia is seeking to hire a Project Associate to support the implementation of the activities within the Joint Project on Persons with disabilities, as well as to extend administrative and coordination support to the office.
The Project Associate will work under the direct supervision of the UN Women Head of Programme office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide support to the Implementation of UN Women Project Component of the UN Joint Project
- Contribute to Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Support Regular Coordination with UN Agencies
- Other office administrative and coordination support
Provide support to the implementation of UN Women Project Component
- Develop the project component workplan, in line with Results Management System;
- Assist with the implementation of the project’s activities in accordance with the Project document and work plan, towards achieving the project outcomes and outputs;
- Develop Terms of Reference for short-term consultants and coordinate the selection process, including conducting interviews and preparing the necessary documentation;
- Develop Call for Proposals or Request for Proposals for civil society organizations/think thanks, coordinate the selection process and prepare the necessary documentation;
- Maintaining regular communication with national and local stakeholders on the project implementation;
- Take part in project technical working group meetings and present UN Women activities and results achieved;
- Organize project related events, including trainings, workshops, advocacy events and/or support partners (responsible parties) in conducting workshops, trainings, advocacy initiatives;
- Provide technical support to partners on all issues related to gender equality.
Contribute to Monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Monitor regularly project activities implementation by conducting field visits and maintaining close communication with project consultants and institutional contractors;
- Monitor implementation of planned deliverables by experts and CSO/think-thanks partners, as per their workplans;
- Review partners narrative and financial reports, as per their implementation plans;
- Regular follow up with national experts/consultants and civil society groups/think tanks involved in the implementation of project- activities, including revision of their deliverables and results;
- Provide inputs in the quarterly monitoring reports in UN Women RMS system and in the annual reports.
- Give inputs to UN Agencies for quarterly progress reports of project implementation and provide inputs for donor report;
- Keep records and file all documents related to planning and implementation of the project in line with the office filing system;
Support Regular Coordination activities with UN Agencies
- Ensure continuous collaboration with assigned Project Manager for the Joint Project;
- Take part at the regular coordination meetings with UN and external partners;
- Actively contribute to joint advocacy and other activities;
- Provide regular inputs to UN project manager as requested.
Other office administrative and coordination tasks
- Support the Head of UN Women office with coordination related tasks;
- Provide support to the office team in the organization of events, workshops, trainings.
- Support with filing system in the office and ensure documentation as per UN Women rules and guidelines;
- Support with the organization of the office library.
*Any other responsibilities as assigned.
**The implementation of the above-mentioned duties will expect also occasional travel within the country.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Knowledge and experience in project implementation;
- Knowledge in monitoring & evaluation tools;
- Knowledge on gender equality and empowerment of women.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside UN Women;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Demonstrates excellent written and oral communication skills. Communicates sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies;
- Demonstrates very good understanding of and experience in communications and outreach/advocacy;
- Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported;
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems;
- Uses Information Technology effectively as a tool and resource.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Proven networking skills and ability to generate interest in UN Women’s mandate;
- Identifies opportunities and builds strong partnerships with clients and partners.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in gender, development, law, public policy, social studies or closely related field.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in working on projects in the fields of gender equality and empowerment of women
- Knowledge of national gender equality policies; knowledge of national and international policies on the rights of persons with disabilities would be considered an asset
- Experience in partnering with government and non-government organizations, monitoring and reporting on the implementation of project activities
- Experience in working with international organizations and/or UN is an asset
- Fluency in English and Macedonian is required.
Open to national citizens.
UN Women is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Interested candidates should submit their applications on-line, through the UNDP Web site www.undp.org.mk. The deadline for submission of application is 06 November 2018. For further requirements, detailed Terms of Reference and a copy of the UN Personal History form (P-11) are available on UNDP Web site www.undp.org.mk . Applications received after the closing deadline will not be considered. No telephone calls please.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.