Consultancy – Research Assistant – Agronomist (East and Central Kenya Region)
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Consultancy – Research Assistant – Agronomist (East and Central Kenya Region) Background:
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking to recruit a Research Associate Consultant to coordinate participatory evaluation of the orange-fleshed sweetpotato (OFSP) varieties in selected counties in central and eastern Kenya region. OFSP holds untapped potential as a food and nutrition security crop as well as an income earner. The consultant will work within a private–public partnership to foster wide production, consumption and marketing of OFSP. The consultant will be based in either Nairobi or in one of the project counties.
• Lead in designing and implementation of participatory varietal selection system using Mother-Baby-Trial approach among other proven approaches; • Lead in establishment of vine multiplication in project counties; • Collaborate with public and private extension agents to facilitate data collection and reporting to inform performance of selected varieties; • Contribute to planning, design and implementing of vine production that will contribute to improved production of orange fleshed sweetpotato (OFSP); • Contribute to periodic technical reports as demanded by the project; • Participate in capacity building of private and public sector extension staff. Selection criteria
• Master’s degree in Agriculture, Crop Science, Agronomy or a related field; • At least 3 years’ experience in a similar position;
• Ability to design, execute and report on participatory variety selection trail; • Previous experience working with vegetatively propagated crops is an added advantage;
• Experience with participatory research and development approaches is a requirement
1 • Specific experience working with OFSP or bio- fortified crops within the context of agriculture and nutrition is an added advantage;
• Demonstrated contribution to dissemination of project results in various pathways including scientific articles is highly desirable.
Terms of Appointment: This consultancy is open to Kenyan Nationals. The consultancy contract will be for a period of five months.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities
website ( http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ ), including a letter of motivation, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on October 26, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply
CIP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). CIP also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.