Health and Nutrition Advisor
Cox's Bazaar (Bangladesh) | Bangladesh
Health and Nutrition Advisor
Provide technical advice and support to the field management and the health and nutrition staff. Develop, lead, monitor, and evaluate the health and nutrition aspects of the country programme. Coordinate and network at a senior level with national and regional health and nutrition authorities. Actively participate in health and nutrition sector coordination supporting the development of quality standards and protocols to improve the overall response and participate in the capacity building of less experienced organizations. Lead on all health and nutrition elements of proposals and reports, providing capacity building for national and international staff, promoting best practice in the health and nutrition programmes, and contributing to the overall management of the country programme.
Medair is currently implementing health and nutrition projects. The nutrition project is comprised of 3 TSFP-BSFP sites with each including a C-MAMI (Community Management of at risk mothers and infants) pilot that is being rolled out alongside the IYCF component within the catchment area of each nutrition site. The current health project consists of one primary health post in a relocation area and 3 mobile medical teams who have the capacity to carry out rapid medical response to natural disasters (monsoon rains flooding/landslides), possible cylclones) and/or disease outbreaks. The mobile medical teams when not deployed also support IOM PHCs in need of additional staffing. In 2019, the health and nutrition projects aim to expand and to integrate health and nutrition services where feasible and to strengthen linkages and referrals in locations where this is not feasible.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
January 2019. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Health and Nutrition Project Technical Oversight
- Maintain an overview of the country health and nutrition programmes and of the regional context, with a view to strategically developing new projects in current sites and/or surrounding areas.
- Give technical advice to field managers and HQ on potential involvement in new health and or nutrition interventions and internal health and nutrition capacity for implementation.
- Define appropriate policies and guidelines for the medical aspects of Medair’s work in country.
- Provide technical support to the health and nutrition teams in all project sites, including the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects, and the writing of donor proposals and reports.
- Carry out regular monitoring visits, ensuring that project objectives are met within the stated timeframes and in accordance with recognised international standards.
- Supervise and monitor the development of reporting systems for health and nutrition data collection, analysis and follow-up and feedback to relevant staff, donors, partners and other agencies.
- Maintain an oversight of medicines and health and nutrition supplies ordered for the projects, supporting the health, nutrition and logistics staff in the coordination and quality control of supplies.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation in all aspects of the project.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Ministry of Health, UN, NGOs, donors, partners, etc.
- Seek out relevant networks or task groups on specific health and nutrition humanitarian aid issues.
- Represent Medair at national health cluster/sector, nutrition cluster/sector, coordination, sector, etc.
- Be involved in the recruitment of health and nutrition staff, providing advice on technical skills.
- Ensure that all health and nutrition staff are adequately trained. Plan and develop training material.
- Construct health and nutrition budgets. Ensure expenditures are in line with approved budgets.
- Ensure health and nutrition projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and international. Follow the direction of the Senior Health and Nutrition Advisor at HQ.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations to HQ advisors, as well as field staff.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree (nurse or doctor), or Public Health degree. Emergency response, A&E/ER experience
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- At least 3 years’ experience in managing programmes in international public health work, with at least 1 year in humanitarian emergency context.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of public health programmes.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Good report and proposal writing skills.
- Advanced leadership and project management skills.
- Good negotiation, problem solving and communication ability. Experience in training/mentoring staff.