Requisition ID: req3135
Job Title: WPE Prevention Officer
Sector: Women Protection & Empowerment
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. The IRC has worked for over seven decades and today is involved in over 25 conflict zones in the world addressing both the immediate lifesaving needs of affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in recovering societies. The IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and thorough accountability to those we serve. The IRC is an international agency with offices in New York, London and Geneva.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The WPE Prevention Officer will be responsible for all gender-based violence (GBV) prevention- related activities , including capacity building, outreach and awareness-raising activities with community members and local partners, development and dissemination of communication materials(Information, Education and Communication-IEC or Behavior Change Communication-BCC and community mobilization strategies to promote community participation and engagements. The Prevention Officer will oversee GBV risk identification and mitigation activities, train and supervise Community Volunteers and incentive Workers, local partners and GBV WG members to increase women’s and girls’ access to information about GBV risks, services, and women center/safe space activities. He will be the focal point for outreach methodologies including SASA, EMAP and EASE and make sure successful implementation and community pay in. The prevention Officer will directly report to WPE Program Manager and will closely collaborate Field Manager administrative direction, coordination and guidance.
The responsibilities of the WPE Prevention Officer include but are not limited to the following:
- Support WPE Program Manager in program development and relations with local partners, community workers/volunteers and GBV stakeholders.
- Develop appropriate-specific GBV/services information materials and activities to different group identified i.e. local partners, GBV stakeholders, Community Leaders, Women’s Group, community in collaboration with WPE team and ensure messages are appropriate for the community and tested before dissemination.
- Implement SASA! , EMAP, EA$E and collaborate with response officer on safe space activities monitoring, tracking of progresses and closely mentor GBV case workers on programmatic knowledge and skills.
- Conduct safety audits and other risks assessments activities to identify risks and compile findings/reports submitted to supervisor for final compilation to inform advocacy on identified risks affecting women and girls.
- Provide technical direct support and supervision to local partner, community volunteers and incentive workers, and lead in the development and implementation of outreach strategy that is in line with program log frame and work plans including;
- Development and implementation of outreach plan based on GBV incident trends and needs of women and girls in collaboration with the response team.
- Development and implementation of community mobilization and information dissemination strategies, including: conducting house to house visits, group discussion sessions on GBV issues; and information dissemination sessions in the community to promote and encourage access and referrals to available GBV services to women and girls, immediate health-related consequences.
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems, including tracking progress of prevention program objectives, indicators and activities are being followed, organized and documented.
- Mobilize community members to create a protective environment for women and girls and promote their safety and dignity to mitigate GBV risks.
- Engage and motivate community members and influential people in the community through ongoing dialogues and discussions to take action that will decrease GBV that occur in the community.
- Organize and implement campaigns on GBV in collaboration with local partner, IRC staff, community members, community volunteers/incentive workers and other NGOs/UN Agencies to improve information and awareness on GBV issues and encourage communities to take action to create change and reduce GBV incidents.
- Together with Response Officer and partner staff, conduct quarterly listening sessions with community members (women and girls, men and boys respectively).
- Follow GBV guiding principles of respect, confidentiality, and safety/security and non- discrimination while implementing program activities.
Training and Mentorship
- Develop and conduct trainings and capacity building on GBV prevention related topics targeting various audiences, including but not limited to local partners, staff from other IRC sectors, GBV WG members, community leaders, community volunteers/Incentive workers and Women’s groups to improve knowledge and awareness on GBV and improve referrals and access to services and reduce risks to women and girls.
- Provide ongoing mentorship, capacity building and support supervision to local partner, community Volunteers/incentive workers to improve skills and capacity to implement GBV prevention and risks mitigation activities.
Coordination, Relationship building and Advocacy
- Support adherence to GBV referral protocols and guiding principles for working with survivors and facilitate referrals of GBV survivors who need support to the response team for support.
- Together with local partner, assess gaps in GBV prevention and risk mitigation activities, make recommendations/suggestions for improvements to the supervisor and develop, in consultation with the team and Manager, strategies to address the gaps.
- Develop and maintain positive coordination and relationships with local partners, GBV stakeholders, Community volunteers/incentive workers, community members and promote inter sectoral collaboration with other IRC sector staff do address GBV.
- Facilitate and/or participate in GBV related meetings and community meeting to improve service provision to survivors and strengthen response by different actors and sectors to prevent and mitigate risks of GBV to women and girls.
- Participate in GBV related assessments; including any inter agency assessments where necessary.
- Contribute to a positive team spirit among all IRC staff.
- Represent the IRC WPE in community meeting as required and maintain positive relationship with Community leaders, Local community structures and groups at various levels.
- Maintain positive coordination and relationships with partner and other IRC sector staff.
Monitoring & Reporting
- Prepare and submit reports as required and incorporate supervisor’s feedback in a timely manner.
- Participate in the development of procurement and spending plans and work plans to ensure the successful implementation of programs
- Ensure supplies/resources for GBV prevention activities and other program activities are requested on a timely manner for timely implementation of program activities.
- Monitor and track utilization of program supplies and resources to ensure efficient use of available resources.
- Ensure tracking of key program indicators and progress through utilization of the M&E data collection and indicator tracking tools are being followed by community workers with sufficient copies available on site.
- Adherence of the IRC policy
Human Resources, Logistics & Finance
- Adhere to IRC Somalia Country Program policies and procedures
- Ensure that all relevant financial documentation is completed accurately as required by IRC finance policy.
- Ensure logistics for trainings and other program activities are organized in accordance with IRC logistics policy and requirements
- Ensure that all relevant financial documentation is completed accurately as required by IRC finance policy and requirements.
- Adherence to the IRC code of conduct (IRC WAY) that ensures transparency, services and accountability to beneficiaries and reports any abuse of beneficiaries by other IRC staff, including sexual exploitation and abuse in accordance with the IRC reporting procedures.
- Perform any other duties as required by the supervisor from time to time
- Degree in Social Work/Social Sciences/Community Development or other related field preferred. Degree in similar fields would be an added advantage.
Skills and Experience:
- Community mobilization and training experience in the direct provision of counseling and psychosocial support to survivors of gender based violence a reputable organization/civil society organizations
- Clear understanding, SASA, EMAP and EA$E methodologies with demonstrated positive attitudes on gender inequality, and issues surrounding violence against women and girls STRONGLY preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of issues affecting women and girls, including gender based violence
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and respect for clients at all times is essential.
- Ability to lead, train, supervise, facilitate and motivate local partner, community volunteers/incentive workers, in their respective tasks in a professional, respectful and supportive manner.
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain composure and prioritize work under pressure, work overtime when necessary and be able to coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Ability to work as a member of a team essential.
- Ability to communicate in English and local dialects spoken in Garowe/Somalia.
- Ability to write clear and concise reports in English would be an added advantage
- Basic knowledge of computer skills are helpful (word, excel, email etc) and a plus
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
This position is open to Somali Nationals only