Electrical Engineer for quality assurance of the completed works on public and communal infrastructure
Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
The consultancy is planned within the Local Integrated Development (LID) Project (2016 – 2018). The project is primarily funded by the European Union and co-funded and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH). As part of the UNDP BiH’s Rural and Regional Development Sector’s portfolio, the LID Project has the overall objective to raise the standards of living and improve social cohesion in Bosnia and Herzegovina through inclusive sustainable socio-economic development. LID interventions are streamlined along two main pillars: governance, and economic development and job creation. LID works with 21 selected local governments, grouped together in 4 geographic clusters in the areas primarily affected by floods and areas with a large percentage of returnees/internally displaced persons.The Project directly contributes to improvements in the standard of living for more than 100,000 people in BiH, working with domestic authorities to put into place mechanisms and resources needed to drive social and economic development.The main partners are the BiH Ministry for Human Rights and Refugees and the two entity governments.
The Project’s intended results are as follows:
- Local community partnerships are capable of defining and steering effective local socio-economic development as per local needs;
- Investment needs in target localities are addressed to deal with long-term consequences of the 2014-floods and achieve objectives of local integrated development strategies/action plans; and
- Job creation and income generation needs of local communities are addressed, in particular for returnees and IDPs, households affected by the 2014-floods and other vulnerable groups.
As part of its activities under “Result 2”, the Project supports local governments in implementing infrastructure projects identified through the relevant local development strategies. The main objective of the consultancy is to offer independent quality assurance of construction works delivered in local communities helping ensure the successful implementation of infrastructure projects supported by the LID Project.
Duties and Responsibilities
The LID Action is designed as an integrated intervention, comprising two main pillars – governance and economic development, inter-linked to achieve development results and objectives, where income generation / job opportunities and improved access to and quality of public services in economically challenged and flood-affected areas are the main “connecting threads” among specific activities. It is estimated that at least 100,000 citizens within target localities will indirectly benefit from improved local services and economic opportunities created by the Action.Under the direct supervision of the Programme Manger, the Consultant will undertake quality assurance of completed works on public and communal facilities implemented through LID project as follows:
- Bijeljina/Construction of public lighting system in Industrial zone 2 in Bijeljina;
- Goražde/Construction of public lighting in 2 local communities in Goražde;
- Jablanica/Construction of road and public lighting in industrial zone Šljunkara in Jablanica;
- Kreševo/Construction of infrastructure in Resnik business zone (water supply, sewerage and lightning);
- Modrica/Reconstruction of Cultural Sport Centre in Modrica;
- Šamac/Construction of the artesian well in the refugee settlement Lugovi;
- Tešanj/Construction of public lighting in Bukva industrial zone in Tešanj;
- Zavidovici/Construction of road and public lighting in Batvice business zone in Zavidovici;
- Živinice/Improvement of Energy Efficiency in the Street Lighting System in Živinice.
More concretely, the Consultant will be expected to perform the following tasks:Task 1: Site visitsUnder this task, the Consultant will:
- Carry out a quality evaluation and quantity survey missions to each of the defined project sites;
- Survey executed quantities of works and conduct verification of final payment certificates;
- Perform evaluation of used materials quality conformance in respect to the Bill of Quantities and other contract documentation;
- Determine the extent and nature of defects, if discovered, during compliance and survey activities of finalized construction works;
- Perform evaluation of finalized works in respect to the public safety regulations and good practice;
- Prepare a preliminary visit report.
It is envisaged that this task will be finalised by mid of April, 2019 and the level of effort will not exceed 9 expert days.
Task 2: MonitoringThe Consultant is expected to provide the following:
- Development of a report with a presentation of findings and results with recommendations for quality improvements, where necessary;
- Monitoring execution of mitigation activities in line with recommendations of the audit, if any.
It is envisaged that this task will be finalised by mid of May, 2019 and the level of effort will not exceed 2 expert days.
Task 3: ReportingFinally, the Consultant will:
- Provide a final report in both narrative and financial respect in form defined by the UNDP signed both by the auditor and the contractor.
It is envisaged that this task will be finalised by end of May, 2019 and the level of effort will not exceed 1 expert day.
Deliverables/outputsThe Consultant is responsible for the following deliverables:# Deliverables / outputs # of days per task Due date Percentage
Task 1: Field visits
- The Consultant will prepare a preliminary visit report presenting the status of finalized works. 9 expert days By end of April 2019 75%
Task 2: Monitoring
- The Consultant will provide a detailed breakdown of completed construction works with recommendations and perform supervision over execution of additional works if any. 2 expert days By mid of May 2019 20%
Task 3: Reporting
- The Consultant will provide a final report on finalized project activities. 1 expert day End of May 2019 5%
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Demonstrates professional competence to meet responsibilities and post requirements and is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Results-Orientation: Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals, generates innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations;
- Communication: Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities, including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations, both orally and in writing, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match target audiences;
- Team work: Ability to interact, establish and maintain effective working relations with a culturally diverse team;
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in electrical engineering from a recognized university.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in the relevant field of electrical engineering, especially in construction supervision and quality assurance;
- Professional licensure in areas of electrical engineering in accordance with Entity Spatial Planning and Construction Acts and relevant by-laws;
- Proven experience in work of technical acceptance committees for public and communal infrastructure and evaluation of works in regard to relevant regulations and by-laws.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in in the official languages in Bosnia and Herzegovina and in English.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office applications) and ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
- The consultancy will be awarded to the highest qualified applicant through the combination of technical qualifications and financial offer.
- University degree in electrical engineering from a recognized University 50% 50;
- Professional licensure in areas of electrical engineering with Entity Spatial Planning and Construction Acts and relevant by-laws 50% 50
Total 100% 100
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 90 points would be considered for Technical Evaluation
Criteria Weight Max. Point
- Qualification Score 10% 10;
- Experience in the relevant field of electrical engineering, especially in construction supervision and quality assurance 35% 35;
- Experience in work of technical acceptance committees for public buildings and evaluation of works in regard to relevant regulations and by-laws 35% 35;
- Familiarity with entity spatial planning and construction acts and relevant by-laws 20% 20.
Total 100% 100Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 70 points would be considered for the Final Evaluation
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
-Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work;
- Completed and signed the Offeror’s template Confirming Interest and Availability (please follow the link: http://www.ba.undp.org/content/dam/bosnia_and_herzegovina/docs/Operations/Jobs/Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx);
- Latest personal CV, including past experience from similar projects, and email, telephone and any other contact details for references;
- Financial proposal which will separately specify professional fee, indicating number of anticipated working days, travel costs (air-ticket or use of private vehicle), living allowance, and all other applicable costs.
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 65 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.