Consultant to conduct research on UN Women’s brand perception study in Asia and the Pacific
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls, the empowerment of women, and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action, and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates the efforts of the UN system to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. UN Women provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women has a universal mandate that encompasses a normative, an operational/programmatic as well as a coordination role, all of which are closely linked with its unique structure. At the core of its mandate, UN women plays a leading role in supporting governments in delivering on their gender equality and empowerment of women (GEEW) commitments in the Sustainable Development Goals. UN Women is mandated to stimulate and coordinate improved action on gender equality across the whole UN system.
The successful positioning of women’s empowerment and gender equality is a prerequisite to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. UN Women Partnerships, Communications and Advocacy efforts are an integral part of the organization’s positioning, and critical in advocating for women’s empowerment, rights and gender equality.
In view of its mandate, UN Women needs a comprehensive baseline assessment to acquire facts on awareness and perception of what UN Women is doing in Asia and the Pacific. The information will be used to inform UN Women Asia and the Pacific Partnerships, Communications and Advocacy Strategy 2019-2022 and to take required actions to improve UN Women’s brand awareness to improve lives of women and girls in the region.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of work
This role focuses on gaining information on how UN Women’s brand is perceived in the region of Asia and the Pacific, based on the following measurements:
- Brand Recall and Recognition: whether our audience remember the brand and information about it from memory, and whether the audience recognize our brand when they see our logo.
- Brand Association: how our brand is associated (UN Women as advocate/policy broker/expert in gender equality/donor).
- Brand Trust: whether our brand (and our work and messages that we convey) is considered trustworthy.
- Brand Loyalty: whether the brand inspires loyalty and whether our audience would recommend working with UN Women
Key tasks include:
- Conduct a comprehensive study to obtain views from stakeholders (media, opinion leaders, government, donors and civil society, and general public) in Asia and the Pacific on UN Women with specific countries of China, Indonesia and Thailand.
- Map the main areas for improvement for brand building in those countries.
- Establish main indicators for the UN Women Partnerships and Communications Strategy on the basis of data collected.
- Develop recommendations on improved brand perception.
Brand Perception Study design, methodology and survey/interview/ focus groups questions
Develop of Brand Perception Study design, methodology and survey/interview/focus group questions and target audiences in China, Indonesia and Thailand
14 December 2018
Conduct desk research (articles, blogs on UN Women)
Carry out quantitative surveys, qualitative interviews and focus groups with identified stakeholders, tailored to the specific stakeholder
Collect survey and Interview results and carry out an analysis
31 January 2019
Draft first report
28 February 2019
Finalize report with specific indicators and recommendations as well as cost-effective innovations for UN Women’s Partnerships and Communications Strategy
31 March 2019
Contract duration and location
This consultancy is home-based during the period of December 2018 to March 2019. The consultant will be required to travel on missions to conduct survey/interview/focus group questions and target audiences in January 2019. UN Women will be responsible for the arrangement of travel for the consultant. Daily Subsistence Allowance, terminal fee and other travel costs in compliance with UN Women’s Travel Guideline will be provided.
- Cultural and gender sensitivity and ability to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team and ability to deliver high quality work on time.
- Ability to liaise with stakeholders and partners, research institutions, civil society.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Behavioral Sciences, Psychology, International Development Studies, Social Sciences, Politics, Law, Human Rights, Gender, Women Studies, Economics, Monitoring and Evaluation or related field.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in conducting similar research/studies and conducting behavioral change campaigns and advocacy with proven track records of success.
- Excellent research skills (developing research design, identifying audience, developing survey and interview questions, facilitating focus groups).
- Excellent analytical and writing skills are required.
- Demonstrated knowledge about gender equality and the empowerment of women.
- Excellent command of English.