International- Correspondence and surge capacity for the Commission on the Status of Women
New York City (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace, and security.
The Executive Director’s Office (EDO) is responsible for managing and ensuring the provision of substantive support to intergovernmental processes on gender equality and the empowerment of women at a global level. It also provides vision, strategic planning and establishes priorities, leading the senior management team, leading advocacy efforts as a global voice for women, ensuring coordination in the UN Common System, providing overall management and oversight and ensuring accountability to governance bodies.
In this context, the EDO is looking to hire a consultant to provide surge capacity to the office to address the increased in-flow and out-flow of correspondence during the months leading up to the 63rd edition of the Commission on the Status of Women.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Analyst and the overall guidance of the Special Assistant to the Executive Director, the incumbent will work closely with the Special Assistant and other EDO members to support the overall coordination of the work of the Executive Director, especially in relation to the coordination of the correspondence flow and with administrative and logistical support, for the period leading up to the Commission on the Status of Women.
Manage the correspondence of the Executive Director for the period ahead of CSW63:
- Log all incoming and outgoing correspondence and acknowledge receipt.
- Review, prioritize and route incoming correspondence for timely action and response.
- Solicit feedback from colleagues where needed either by email requests or, depending on priority status or time constraints, in person or by phone.
- Keep track of pending items and follow up with relevant colleagues and/or the Special Assistant to ensure that all deadlines are met.
- Gather invitations to be discussed in the Special Assistants coordination group and follow-up with relevant parties as per agreed outcome on delegation of invitations, including by informing organizers of UN Women’s representation.
- Dispatch letters to Member States’ Permanent Missions to the UN, partners, and other stakeholders as per established protocols.
Provide editorial support to the Executive Office ahead of the CSW63:
- Draft basic official letters of acceptance, regret, congratulations, condolences, note verbales, and other standard letters for the review and signature of the Executive Director, the Chief of Staff, or other UN Women officials.
- Request drafts of substantive or technically complex letters from technical colleagues when appropriate.
- Ensure quality control of drafted letters submitted for the Executive Director’s signature, including formatting, grammar and spelling, correct salutations, in accordance with the UN Correspondence Manual.
- Draft transmittal letters to Permanent Missions and other administrative correspondence.
- Ensure that all clearances have been received from divisional directors and by the Chief of Staff or other relevant EDO colleagues prior to signature.
Provide liaison and coordination support to Executive Director’s briefing notes and daily folder preparation during the CSW63:
- Liaise with technical colleagues or external partners for background documents ahead of the Executive Director’s participation in events, including details needed for the elaboration of her speeches.
- Request briefing notes for the Executive Director’s events and meetings in New York as well as for missions abroad and ensures adequate follow-up.
- Format all documents as per agreed templates and ensure the quality of formatting and presentation.
- Prepare and update the Executive Director’s weekly briefing note folder as needed and at least on a daily basis.
- Ensure timely delivery of the briefing note folder to the Executive Director ahead of her engagements.
- Undertake any other task as requested by the Special Assistant including support and backing up other colleagues in the EDO as require.?
Key Performance Indicators:
- Successful logging, filing and processing of all incoming and outgoing correspondence for the Executive Director ahead of the CSW;
- High-quality drafting and reviewing of official documents, including those related to CSW;
- Timely liaison with colleagues on background documents related to CSW and all other processes as indicated by the supervisor.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities including data/schedule management, maintenance of protocol, information flow
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with clients, demonstrating the understanding of client’s perspective; ability to anticipate client needs and addresses them promptly.
- Knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment would be an asset
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- First or higher University Education degree in international relations, business and administration or a related field is required
- A minimum of two years of programme and administrative support, coordination and event management experience preferably in a large or international corporation or organization;
- Experience with drafting and editing a variety of documents and communication contents (letters, reports, briefs etc.)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and programmes;
- Experience in the UN System a distinctive advantage.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.