Solar Systems Engineer– Retainer, Multiple positions, Multiple positions
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
Background Information – Amman
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
An agreed TOR including the scope, deliverables and the maximum time duration will be agreed upon by UNOPS- Amman Office and the (Solar Systems Engineer- Retainer) prior to commencement of each and every assignment. He/she is responsible for ensuring optimized designs of solar systems and electrical services supervision and related documentation of projects that is to be carried out on time as per the agreed task. The (Solar Systems Engineer- Retainer) will report directly to the Project Manager.
The (Solar Systems Engineer- Retainer) will give his/her technical expertise as required to manage and coordinate any designs assigned, supervision, commissioning and related documentation works. He/she is responsible for managing staff under his/her supervision and ensure high quality design documentation and site works are carried out on time and on or under budget.
The tasks would involve the following but not limited to:
- Designs for solar and renewable systems’ designs including all types of Photovoltaics;
- Supervision of installation of the electrical and renewable services of projects;
- Assist the project team and logistics division in procurement of solar systems machineries and equipment;
- Assist contract division in preparing and evaluation of tender documents of renewable energy, solar and electrical services (specifications, BOQs, rates etc.);
- Design and produce solar systems systemic drawings and scope of works;
- Review the design of solar systems/electrical services of projects;
- Coordinate testing, commission, training and handover of solar systems deliverables to clients.
Specifically, the Retainer will be responsible for the following substantive tasks:
- Review solar systems designs for Infrastructure projects in terms of accuracy, suitability to overall design requirements, including identifying improvements in the designs and be able to propose practical solutions,
- Design of solar/ electrical engineering systems for projects designed in-house as requested utilizing research, development, relevant codes and good engineering practices,
- Prepare solar systems’ drawings including plans, sections, elevations, details and other layouts as needed,
- Strong ability in producing solar systems bill of quantities to international standards of the projects proposed,
- Ability to conduct Electrical assessment of building facilities, and electromechanical systems and produce report and corresponding estimates,
- Produce Auto CAD drawings according to stipulations. And ensure high quality drawings that are accurate and that meet set deadlines,
- Review the solar systems’ bill of quantities in terms of accuracy and content,
- Site supervision and giving direction to contractors on all related electrical issues,
- Review and certify the submitted payment certificate,
- Approve electrical submittals and advice on suitable alterations,
- Prepare estimates and prices for new project development works,
- Knowledge of Solar design and Installation,
- Keep files for all site memos and instructions, measured quantities of work and material on site,
- Follow contractors obligations of the contractors on site including inspections, testing, shop drawings review, quantity surveying.
- Coordinate electrical/solar systems’ engineering related material archiving,
- Assist in scheduling requested tasks related to solar systems’ works,
- Perform any other tasks relevant to the Infrastructure and Engineering Unit when required.
Deliver delegated tasks by the supervisor on time and as per the required cost and quality parameters. Ensure project design and construction quality is high observing local and UN standards applicable and relevant Operational Health and Safety (OH&S) procedures are adhered to.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Ability to work to meet tight schedules under stressful environment and varied cultural context
- Good team player attitude
- Ability to perform work with professionalism, integrity and commitment to project demands
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Excellent communication skills in English both verbal and written
- Demonstrated computer ability in using MS Office Suite.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Renewable Energy Engineering from a reputable University.
- Project Management Certificates will be an asset
- Membership of the Jordanian Engineers Association is preferential.
- At least 5 years of experience in the design and implementation of solar systems for medium to large scale construction projects in Jordan.
- Good knowledge in photovoltaics, testing and commission of solar systems including on grid/off grid systems, and preparing of bill of quantities and supervision & monitoring of solar works, with demonstrated capacity to meet performance indicators, and deliver results preferably in an international development environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge in computer software, particularly “AutoCAD” (latest Versions – 2009 and higher).
- Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset
- Full proficiency in Arabic and English is required
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Retainer ICA
- Contract level: LICA Specialist level 8
- Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.