Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer
Juba (South Sudan) | South Sudan
Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer
Ensure that monitoring, evaluation and learning systems are consistently integrated and implemented throughout Medair’s programme activities. This involves: supporting programme teams to use M&E systems and making use of innovative technology, to collect, aggregate and analyse data; integrating beneficiary accountability plans and activities into Medair’s programmes; and playing a key role in ensuring that the reporting needs of key stakeholders are met.
Multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Primary Health Care, Health and Hygiene Promotion, Nutrition, Water and Sanitation, and NFI distributions across fixed and emergency response locations.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Design and implement, in collaboration with field sector advisors and the MEL manager, data collection such as needs assessments, Post Distribution Monitoring, coverage surveys for emergency responses, SMART and KPC surveys using recognised methods of data collection (e.g. cluster sampling, LQAS).
- Train relevant programmes staff on M&E tools, data collection and analysis, and basic surveying and sampling techniques.
- Ensure the collection of good quality data in order to reflect the progress of programming by supervising enumerator teams, data clerks and translator teams.
- Coordinate implementation of M&E tools, including training and support for project managers and field teams, support data analysis and usage.
- In collaboration with the MEL Manager, train and support project managers and field teams to integrate monitoring activities within the project cycle.
- Promote the principles and practices of beneficiary accountability to colleagues by providing support in beneficiary feedback and other good practices as required.
- Provide, in collaboration with the MEL manager and with input from field and Global Support Office sector advisors, support for project managers, in projecting data, and compiling reports on progress towards indicators.
- Provide analysis of data in a timely manner for internal monitoring and donor reporting, writing project reports as required.
- Provide, in collaboration with input from the project managers, field advisors and the MEL manager, a comprehensive written report on survey results in a timely manner.
- Attend and participate in relevant working groups such as Nutrition Information Working Group (NIWG), when necessary.
- Coordinate the technical aspects of field M&E operations such as mapping the survey area and asking for the latest population data.
- Actively participate in designing questionnaires for surveys and assessments.
- Coordinate the logistics involved in survey related field work: following up with the project teams on enumerator recruitment progress and booking a training venue.
- Coordinate the translation and back translation of questionnaires and other data collection tools.
- Coordinate and oversee the deployment and payment of temporary data collection and entry teams in the field.
- Maintain robust records to provide a clear and transparent account of performance and take immediate action in areas of poor performance.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Demonstrated training and experience in monitoring and evaluation of humanitarian programmes using qualitative and quantitative data collection methods.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 2 years of experience in data collection, analysis, interpretation of analysed data, report writing and communication.
- 1 year of experience managing a humanitarian M&E system including supervising household surveys.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation standards and survey methodology.
- Able to establish and maintain systems to measure / compile / analyse data for project management.
- Ability to communicate monitoring and evaluation principles and to train others.
- Good communicator. Initiative taker, able to plan and organise own workload.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills. Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- Organization: Medair
- Location: Juba (South Sudan) | South Sudan
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: