Senior Project Manager (18-98)
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 18-98 /GRS/SSA
Senior Project Manager
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic and ambitious Senior Project Manager to lead its effort to scale up the production and utilization of biofortified sweetpotato for nutrition and rural economic development inNigeria. This is a greatopportunityto contribute to agricultural transformation in Nigeria working closely with government and commercial partners from several sectors to improve sweetpotato value chains as pathways to more resilient, nutritious and profitable agri-food systems in Nigeria.
About CIP’s program
CIP, a global CGIAR research center, works with partners to improve diets and incomes of poor people in Africa, Asia and Latin America through scientific research, innovation, and capacity strengthening. Focusing on potato and sweetpotato as the entry point, CIP’s programs seek to strengthen broader agri- food systems to generate economic, social and nutritional benefits for farmers, enterprises and consumers emphasizing the priorities of women and youth in particular. The program in Nigeria emphasizesthedevelopmentandutilizationofimprovednutritious,resilientsweetpotatoandpotatothat can createeconomicopportunities and contribute to improved nutritionand food security. CIPisworking closely with government ministries and institutes in the agriculture and health sectors as well as commercialpartnerstoincreasepublicandprivateinvestmentstowardsruralgrowthandsustainableand nutritiousfoodsystems.CIP’sworkisintegratedintobroaderglobalCGIARresearchprogramsandcountry coordination in Nigeria. Program coverage includes the Northern and Central regions coordinated from the country office in Abuja.
About the position
The SeniorProject Manager will lead CIP’s engagement with research, government, commercial and NGO partners in Nigeria to accelerate the scaling up the production and utilization of nutritious and resilient sweetpotato and potato, with an initial emphasison biofortified sweetpotato. S/he will lead a designated program focused on developing, adapting and disseminating biofortified orange-fleshed sweetpotato using improved methodologies and innovative delivery systems. Emphasis will be on strengthening market mechanisms and commercial partnerships to serve the priorities and needs of poor and malnourished populations for healthier diets and improved livelihoods. The Senior Project Manager will work with scientists from CIP and partner institutions to apply latest methodologies and approaches and develop these further to ensure that CIP’s research and development work is well targeted at nutrition and poverty goals and strengthens national and local partner capacities. S/he will link CIP with pertinent researchnetworksanddevelopment initiativesinNigeriato broadenthescaleofimpact.Thepositionwill report to CIP’s global Sweetpotato Program Leader.
• Provide overall technical and management leadership for the Nigeria component of the global Scaling Up Sweetpotato Through Agriculture and Nutrition program (pending award for next phase). • Lead, supervise and mentor a team of researchers and other program staff, promote accountability and ensuring that all staff members are effectively contributing to relevant decision-making processes.
• Manage CIP’s partnerships with government and commercial partners contributing to the program and initiate new collaborations, represent the program vis-à-vis partners, and ensure thatitiswellunderstoodandhighlyregardedbythedonor,governmentandallprogrampartners. • Ensure timeliness and quality of all reporting and responsiveness to donor requests, working closely with the M&E staff.
• Coordinate with M&E, finance and administration staff to ensure operational systems are in place to support field activitiesincluding logistics, procurement, security,administrationand humanresources. • In coordination with CIP’s regional and global teams, develop new and innovative research and development initiatives and contribute to resource mobilization through country level dialogue and proposal writing.
• Contribute to the analysis and publication of research findings as lead author and contributing author and participate in national, regional and international conferences and forums to present results from CIP’s program in Nigeria.
Who are we looking for?
• PhD in a pertinent field in the social or biological sciences. An MSc degree with additional professionalexperiencewillbeconsidered.Specifictraininginrootandtubercropsisnotrequired but is an advantage.
• Strong hands-on experience of at least 6 years in a leadership position on research and developmentprogramsinagriculture,nutrition,orruraldevelopmentpreferablyinAfricaorAsia. • Excellent and up-to-date understanding of approaches and methodologies to promote nutrition- sensitive agriculture.
• Direct experience applying market-based approaches to questions of nutrition and rural development. Experience of working with the private sector is an advantage.
• Proven track record of excellent project management and reporting skills.
• Strong track record of research and publications in relevant areas.
• Excellent leadership skills to promote effective collaboration within teams and across partner organizations.
• Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
• Willingness and ability to relocate to Nigeria and to travel and work in resource-poor, rural areas. Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background, and is a recent World Food Price Winner and awarded with the Al-Sumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
• CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP’s mission contributes to the SDGs: 1,2,3,5,8,13 and 15.
• CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.What are we offering? • Exciting career opportunities in an international organization.
• Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience. • Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
• Attractive retirement plan.
• Three-year term contracts with the possibility of renewal.
• Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
How to apply?
Visit the following link: http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. withyourreferences.ScreeningofapplicationswillbeginonDecember 2,2018 andwillcontinueuntilthe post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply.