GIS and Data Analysis Officer - South (Lebanese National) - Lebanon
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application on WebCruiter. Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
The GIS and Data Analysis Officer is responsible for data management to create and manipulate GIS databases to visualise quantitative and qualitative information elements spatially on maps, and accordingly provide analysis to serve the outcomes of the assessment exercises. The position holder will also manage the team of Project Volunteers (Enumerators) responsible for the data collection in the field and any other concerned Project Assistants.
- Monitor and report on the project activities and ensure compliance with plans and NRC standards.
- Prepare work plans for the teams of Project Volunteers (Enumerators) and concerned staff and ensure proper management of implementation based on planning and as required by the project’s timeline.
- Mobilize communities and community leaders for the implementation of the assessment phases and coordinate with the relevant actors on field level to ensure proper and smooth implementation.
- Report all data collection related concerns and suggest new methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of activities.
- Prepare data visualisation documents and analysis tools and reports as fit for the objective of the project and as advised by the Line Manager.
- Ensure that NRC’s related activities are implemented with NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines and reports any breaches/concerns to the line manager and/or focal point for proper action.
- Manage data processing, including tallies, typing, maps, surveys, etc.; and ensure that the collected data is reported as per set procedures and that the necessary documents are provided before and during assessment, analysis, and drafting report stages.
- Store, sort, and manage data generated by the teams, and check data quality to report errors/discrepancies as needed.
- Manage and carry out data corrections and validations.
- Manage data manipulation and generate data visualisations.
- Consolidate data and provide analysis as required.
- Manage revision and improvement of the reference documents such as workflows, data entry procedures, etc.
- Contribute to the design and development of data collection tools.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Shelter and WASH Social Coordinator at field office level
- Shelter and WASH Technical Coordinator at field office level
- Protection Coordinator at field office level
- Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator at field office level
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
1. Professional competencies
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
- Minimum two years of experience in data management, sorting and analysis, and drafting of reports
- Bachelor degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Topography or other relevant field
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Fluent in Arabic of English, both written and spoken
- Demonstrated knowledge in primary and secondary data collection, research methodologies, and processes analysis
- Professional experience in data collection, management and mapping tools especially GIS, spreadsheets, AutoCAD, ODK survey, Survey 1, 2, 3 or other relevant software
- Professional experience in conducting field assessments
2. Behavioral Competencies:
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
- Planning and delivering results
- Coping with change
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environments