Roving Facilities Management Officer
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. Present in nearly 80 countries, the organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
The Administration Service portfolio for WFP operations includes travel services for WFP employees, delivering and maintaining the most fit-for-purpose facilities, managing our pool of assets and providing infrastructure and emergency response capacity through sophisticated engineering services, light fleet management and humanitarian accommodation and with administrative field support teams available in all these areas. We always aim to deliver in line with WFP's corporate commitment to Cost Excellence and sustainability, measuring and reducing our environmental impact in all that we do.
The selected Administration Officer will be based in Ethiopia and under the direct supervision of Country Office’s Head of Administration.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Within delegated authority, the Administration Officer will be responsible for providing guidance, oversight, and support for the management of Administration activities. More specifically he/she will be accountable for the following duties:
- Contributes to the development of strategic Administration annual plans, related to longer term strategies and improvements to policies, systems and procedures ensuring services provided support WFP strategic objectives and comply with corporate policies, standards, regulations, whilst improving processes and which facilitate efficient and effective administration services;
- In relation to above, ensures engagement and contribution of field locations are represented in relevant strategic discussions;
- Manages and/or carry out data analysis related to facilities management to provide management and clients with the accurate information and reports for efficient planning and decision-making;
- Provides informed assistance to the Head of Administration related to facilities management;
- Ensures regular maintenance of buildings and building systems (electrical, plumbing, air conditioning etc.) including the identification of problems and discussions with appropriate and specialized contractors;
- Supervises the catering services and develops different menus in agreement with the residents of the compound;
- Maintains high quality hygiene standards in the kitchen, food stores, and common guest house areas; and where required, coordinate and liaise with the guest house users on the purchase of food items required;
- Conduct on-site inspections of relevant facilities (office, warehouses, and guest houses) and provide guidance and recommendations for routine and emergency technical issues;
- Ensure all facilities are compliant with WFP Health and Safety standards, including Fire and Industrial Safety;
- Manages and oversees that works completed by contractors (cleaning, catering etc.) are performed promptly and according to existing contracts and results expected;
- Develops and implements standardized procedures for preventive and routine maintenance of all facilities equipment and fittings;
- Supervises the contracted staff involved in facilities management, identifying necessary training requirements and provides training and technical guidance accordingly;
- Assists in allocation and management of facilities space to achieve maximum efficiency, coordinates intra-office moves in agreement with the Head of Administration;
- Assists the Head of Administration in identifying areas requiring facility refurbishment and renovations as required and aligns these needs to the corporate Occupational Safety and Health Policy;
- Manages the existing resources in the WFP managed facilities and provide informed estimates on new requirements aiming at efficiency, cost effectiveness, and timeliness of operations and services,
- Identify and implement environmentally sustainable solutions where possible;
- Build and maintain the partnership with WFP stakeholders, other UN agencies and local government offices, particularly when involved in UN Common Premise initiatives
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis;
- Perform any other duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced University degree in Business/Public Administration, Engineering, or other relevant field relating to office management and administration, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- At least 6 years work experience in Administration Management;
- At least 3-years of professional experience related to complex facilities management experience;
- Previous international work experience – either with UN organisation or international organization is an asset;
- Proven track record of successful customer service approach when responding to counterparts/stakeholders – both internal and external;
- Extensive experience with Contract and Asset Management;
- Experience managing multi-functional, culturally diverse teams of staff;
- Proven experience providing a supportive role leading projects and implementing strategic vision into functional policies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
- Proficiency in a second UN official language to at least intermediate standard is highly regarded.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- In-depth knowledge in the preparation and implementation of SOPs;
- Ability to critically review existing procedures and systems to recommend improvements where necessary to address potential weaknesses and mitigate risk;
- Applies expert knowledge of administration best practice, concepts and principles and advanced understanding of WFP standards, processes and infrastructure to manage optimisation across the entire organisation, and to drive technological and process improvements which position WFP as a pioneer in administrative services;
- Proactively monitors performance and delivers high quality service to meet the needs of customers, requesting customer feedback and taking ownership of customer problems that arise. Pre-empts needs of customers based on experience;
- Knowledge and/or experience in collaborating and implementing Occupational Health and Safety projects within the area of Facilities Management;
- Knowledge and experience with UN procedures and practices, desirable
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The duration of consultancy assignment is 11 months
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Apply by 7th December 2018
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.