Beni (Congo Democratic) | d
Improving access to safe water and sanitation for the target population, the WASH Manager effectively manages the assigned Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) projects in line with the objectives, budget and timeframe laid down in the proposals. The role also includes enhancing beneficiary participation, managing and training local staff and planning and initiating new WASH projects / proposals.
The WASH sector aims at improving water, sanitation and hygiene in health centres and communities. Medair implements projects in Province Oriental. We are currently researching new projects in the Kivus.
Workplace & Conditions
Based in Beni, D.R. Congo.
- Based in a rural region in East D.R. Congo, with regular travel to field sites in the project area.
- Occasional insecurity may cause periods of restricted movement. Living conditions are likely to basic.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, minimum 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Technical WASH Management
- Responsible for the implementation, management, supervision and support of the assigned WASH projects in line with the activity plan and time frame of the relevant project proposals and any applicable national and international guidelines and standards.
- Manage the quality construction of all water and sanitation structures, ensuring good maintenance and sustainable processes are put in place.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted both against project objectives and to ensure the quality of the programme, with reports to relevant field managers.
- Provide input on the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
- Assess existing water, sanitation, and hygiene promotion activities in the assigned areas and recommend actions to be taken.
- Manage and oversee the assigned WASH team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Work with the relevant field managers to plan, construct and manage WASH budgets for the assigned WASH projects.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned WASH team, Medair in-country and HQ WASH managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs).
- Represent Medair at relevant local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies and other NGOs.
- Manage the correct and timely ordering (within budgetary constraints) of all necessary WASH supplies and equipment for the assigned WASH activities, ensuring minimum stocks are maintained and items are stored and distributed correctly.
- Implement, as far as is possible within operational constraints, relevant policies and standards relating to WASH service delivery including national, and international (e.g. Sphere and HAP) standards, donor guidelines and other good practice.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in water and sanitation.
- BSc / MSc in Water / Environmental Engineering or Management or Civil Engineering or Hydrology / Geology an asset.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Good report writing skills; problem solving ability.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
- Good communicator, able to pass on information efficiently.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
- Able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate.
- Willingness to support others and to share workload.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Self-motivated; able to work effectively in a wide variety of situations.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips.
- Organization: Medair
- Location: Beni (Congo Democratic) | d
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: