Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
The UNDP’s Social Inclusion/Democratic Governance Sector aims to both decisively promote social inclusion and empowerment of the most vulnerable and to significantly enhance access to social and economic benefits to marginalised people and communities through specifically tailored sector initiatives and other UNDP sectors’ programmes fully utilizing CO knowledge platform.
The main objective of the project is to strengthen women’s leadership and participation in political life. Guided by the strict observance of the highest standards of political neutrality, the project will apply the UNs Gender Equality in Elected Office approach to help secure an enabling environment for getting more women elected across board, in all spheres of decision-making in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It will look into enhancing the women’s engagement in public life and their position in the decision-making and ensure they are given a realistic and equal chance as their men counterparts in the forthcoming general elections (2018), and in the longer term, the next local elections in 2020 by advocacy for women’s equal rights and political participation.
Strengthening women’s leadership and participation in political life will apply the two-pronged approach- vertically by proposing structural adjustments to accommodate greater numbers of women in politics, as well as horizontally by nourishing the next generation of women leaders in communities through tailored networking and capacity building initiatives.
To this end, the project will utilise the “entry points”, contextual enablers, and programming opportunities to open up spaces for women’s leadership and strengthening their participation in political life. UN support will be provided equally to all across the political spectrum with no favours towards anyone.
This position combines the project management and chief technical advisor roles in the policy domain as elaborated in the Functions/Key Results section of these terms of reference. The employee will be based in the UNDP BiH office in Sarajevo with frequent field travel.
Duties and Responsibilities
Overall project management:
- Ensure sound project management of and take full responsibility for the implementation of the project, as per the project document and the UNDP rules and regulations;
- Develop annual activity and procurement work plans, as well as budgets based on expected year-end outputs, and ensure close monitoring of activities and delivery;
- Provide direction and guidance to the Project Team and the responsible party (UN Women);
- Report to the Project Board to assure the overall direction and integrity of the project;
- Build, motivate and lead a high performing team consisting of project personnel, expert consultants, service providers, etc. and conduct performance assessments of the team, as per UNDP rules and regulations;
- Provide inputs in identification of linkages between the Women in Elections in BiH project and other related projects in the UNDP, in BiH, or beyond, maximizing the efficient and effective use of resources;
- Securing proper and efficient use of project budget, as per the project document;
- Manage financial allocations and approve expenditures according to authority delegated and ensure timely payments in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Apply UNDP programming tools and policies as explained in the Results Management Guide;
- Coordinate the recruitment of project personnel;
- Ensuring proper use and maintenance of project equipment and office records and any other documentation by the project personnel.
Policy advice and technical guidance:
- Provide strategic leadership and steer the realisation of the effective and transparent cooperation with multiple project stakeholders within the project and anchoring of dialogue results;
- In cooperation with the relevant project team, provide strategic technical guidance to the design and impactful implementation of project interventions related to both vertical and horizontal project actions, initiatives and processes;
- Guide the process of empowerment of women locally to identify, strengthen and nourish the next generation of women leaders;
- Participate in project-level committees, policy and capacity development working groups and events;
- Build upon the gains of initiatives on increasing political participation of women and increasing capacities of women in parliament in BiH;
- Ensure that achieved vertical results is mainstreamed locally, within the project field work, other relevant UNDP interventions, as well as support their popularisation and application beyond UNDP scope of work.
Project monitoring, reporting and quality assurance based on the principle of result-based management:
- Review on a regular basis project details, schedules, deliverables and budget as articulated in the Annual Work Plan - AWP (evidence of progress towards expected outputs, according to schedule, within budget) with the project team;
- Monitor and analyse Project progress, using applicable monitoring & evaluation and risk management tools in ATLAS;
- Manage and monitor the identified project risks and issues; submit new risks and issues to the Project Board for consideration and decision if required; update the status of project risks and issues by maintaining the logs;
- Oversee and ensure timely submission of the Project Progress/Annual Narrative and Financial Reports and other reports as may be required by the UNDP, the Project Board or the Government of Sweden
- Monitor and analyse the project environment and progress, using applicable monitoring and evaluation and risk management tools where relevant,
- Advice on timely readjustment of project strategies and corrective actions as necessary;
- Carry regular, announced and unannounced performance monitoring of the project team, as well as conduct field visits and quality checks of project events, sites and activities;
- Prepare analytical reviews and systematically capture lessons learnt from the project implementation; identify follow-up actions and submit them for consideration to the Project Board.
Knowledge production and management:
- Ensure wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements;
- Support continuous learning by the project team;
- Ensure dissemination of information and knowledge management within the team for effective project implementation;
- Ensure that achieved project key results, knowledge tools and products have been mainstreamed within the project field work, as well as within other relevant UNDP interventions and support their popularisation and application beyond UNDP scope of work;
- Manage the transfer of project deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials to national beneficiaries;
- Since project is gender equality specific, the Project Manager will ensure that locally generated knowledge on gender equality is captured, incorporated in knowledge management activities and products of the CO, but also used for further dissemination and sharing within the CO and regionally.
Partnership and advocacy
- Establish and maintain good working relations with relevant institutional and organisational partners at state, entity, and local levels, as well as with main international organisations as relevant for the project implementation;
- Liaise with relevant government agencies and all project partners, including donor organizations and NGOs for effective coordination of all project activities;
- Animate effective dialogue with partners and among stakeholders and engage with relevant donors and contribute to the CO resource mobilization efforts.
- Identify and support the realisation of synergetic initiatives and/or contribution from various stakeholders, which would add value and maximise the project results;
- Ensure regular communication and coordination with project counterparts and develop and maintain effective mechanisms for integrating and responding to their feedback and insights;
- Encourage active participation of all stakeholders in order to promote empowerment and ownership of national counterparts and stakeholders.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- In-depth knowledge on development issues, especially in gender equality and social inclusion;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management: Contributing to results through primary research and analysis
- Provides information for linkages across project activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals.
Building Strategic Partnerships: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Effectively networks with partners and remain up-to date on partnershio related issues;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners.
Resource Mobilization: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Develops a database of Project profiles. Identifies opportunities for Project proposals for presentation to donors.
Client Orientation: Establish effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective;
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
- Promoting/safeguarding ethics and integrity,;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, disabilities, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people and partners fairly without favouritism;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and strong ability to continuously self-motivate;
- Plans, prioritizes, and delivers tasks on time;
- Excellent diplomatic and interpersonal skills and ability to liaise effectively with government and stakeholders at the highest levels;
- Sound judgment and problem solving skills;
- Excellent conceptualisation and analytical skills, as well as proven ability to draft documents in clear and concise manner.
- Excellent communication skills with excellent presentation skills;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective project team;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Creating an emotionally intelligent project team;
- Managing conflict;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Informed, fair and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in gender studies, political sciences, public administration, development studies, economics, or other social sciences.
- BA degree with additional two years of experience could be accepted in lieu of MA.
- Minimum five years of project management experience, includingexperience in the field of development, political participation and gender equality;
- Proven knowledge and expertise in design and support to projects and initiatives geared towards social change;
- Excellent understanding of the overall political, administrative and institutional set-up of local governance in BiH;
- Rich experience in partnering and interaction with governmental institutions at state/entity/local levels, as well as with civil society organisations;
- Familiarity with key public documents, strategies and trends related to gender equality in BiH;
- Fluency in English and languages of peoples of BiH
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.