Contract Management Specialist - Infrastructure
Background Information - Job-specific
Based in UNOPS Headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) unit provides strategic project implementation advice and operational support services to field offices under the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR), Asia Regional Office (AR), Middle East Regional Office (MR), Africa Regional Office (AFR), Latin America and Caribbean Regional Office (LCR), the Peace and Security Cluster, and UNOPS HQ units in the areas of Project Management and Infrastructure, Procurement, Legal, Finance, Human Resources and Administration.
The Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) is a unit with the purpose of serving the operations of the entities under its coverage, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. The unit also acts as a mechanism, in collaboration with the relevant practice leads, for identifying areas within management and delivery practices, where policy and process enhancements can be introduced to meet implementation needs.
As part of the SSC IPAS Project Management and Infrastructure Unit (IPAS PMI), the incumbent will be responsible for the provision of expert advice to both internal and external stakeholders.
Under the direct supervision of the Infrastructure & Project Management Advisor, the Contract Management Specialist will be entrusted with the following duties and responsibilities:
- Advise the delivery teams on how to effectively use UNOPS FIDIC-based Professional Services / Works Contracts.
- Lead the management of Claims and Variations and any subsequent dispute resolution activities
- Provide advice on contractual compliance matters.
- Provide guidance on dealing with price increases and change management processes.
- Provide commercial and contractual support to country offices on the development of projects particularly during the pre-engagement phase.
- Provide guidance on the approach to the division of a project into its component work packages and support appropriate alignment to effective measurement of works.
- Provide support in the revision and drafting of contracts with vendors.
- Provide advice to the country offices on the management of contractual matters during implementation
- Act as the focal point for operational contract management issues as well as in establishing and maintaining a mechanism to capture key issues, challenges, gaps and possible areas of improvement.
- Undertake other tasks for the IPAS Project Management and Infrastructure unit including the review of engagements.
The incumbent will also provide advice on implementation strategy and specific contract related risks that may affect the proposed approach whilst liaising with the relevant policy units (Procurement, Legal, IPMG) to align policy, rules and regulations with UNOPS works contracts.
When required, the incumbent will support with the development and delivery of potential training to country offices as required as well as in the development and improvement of organizational directives and administrative instructions pertaining to infrastructure.
- Advanced university degree (Master's or equivalent such as MEng, MASc) in Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Construction Management, Contract Law, or similar is required.
- A combination of a Bachelor’s Degree (Bachelor's or equivalent such as BEng, BASc) in Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Construction Management, Contract Law, or similar in combination with 2 additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing contracts ranging from complex heavy engineering and infrastructure projects to small operation, maintenance or construction projects is required.
- Strong knowledge of FIDIC contracts is required.
- Sound experience in the compilation, assessment and settlement of claims under the FIDIC form(s) of contract is required.
- Working experience in construction sites is required.
- Experience working in a development context is desirable.
- Knowledge of other engineering contract forms is desirable.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal, required.
- Fluency in French and/or Spanish, both written and verbal, desirable.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: I-ICA 2
- Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Copenhagen (Denmark)
- Grade: IICA-2, International Individual Contractors Agreement - Mid level
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Closing Date: 2018-12-17