Chief Data Officer
Purpose of the post
Reporting to the Director of Digital Transformation and Data (DTD), the ICRC is recruiting a Head of Data (Chief Data Officer) to coordinate transversal efforts across the ICRC related to leveraging data to support the ICRC’s humanitarian mission.
The Head of Data is a management role leading a team to envision and/or deliver the ICRC’s data and analytics strategy as well as to coordinate efforts and provide strategic guidance across the Institution with regard to data governance, data management and data analytics with a view to delivering greater institutional value creating data driven insights and impact through data to support the ICRC’s mission.
In this role you will lead and be accountable for the team leading the projects and responsibilities linked to Business Intelligence (Platform and Solutions), Data Management Model, Master Data Management, data architecture as well as to support analytics capacities linked to external data, and coordinating with and aligning relevant departments and units. This role will also drive efforts to transform the Organizational culture to incorporate a trusted data and analytics approach to leverage data for decision making.
Key responsibilities of this position include coordinating with key partners across the Organization to ensure alignment on data management and building a team with an inclusive, a conducive work environment where people are enabled and motivated to support the Organization achieve its objectives.
Main duties and responsibilities
1. Data and Analytics
- Implement the recommendations and Roadmap stemming from the recent internal stock taking exercise on implementation of the ICRC’s data management model, Business Intelligence Programme and master data management
- Build support and alignment across the Institution for the implementation of the recommendations and align priorities.
- In line with the newly defined Business Intelligence Programme & Roadmap, ensure implementation of the projects
- Drive the definition and delivery of key foundational projects (data framework, integrated data architecture, institutional data warehouse, etc.)
- Ensure the delivery and implementation of the BI Platform for data and analytics in line with a coherent data model to leverage Institutional data to inform decision making.
- Reinforce self-service BI governance practices and activities
- Establish a Data and Analytics competency center
- Provide thought leadership on projects to deliver value having a holistic view of enterprise data
- Build a foundation that data, information and analytics are treated as a strategic business asset.
- Create a Data Science workbench - data science and its application to create business value and make an impact to the humanitarian services
- Integrate an aligned analytics approach throughout the ICRC, coordinating with the key stakeholders
- Define information systems and architecture to integrate and analyze data with internal data/business intelligence to ensure a data analytics approach.
- Establish seamless interactions between BI and analytics environments
- Define project implementation roadmap according to the Information Environment Strategy addressing the Analytics aspects
2. Master Data Management
- Reinforce the current Master Data Management processes and Governance
- Drive the Master Data Management Group to achieve its objectives of providing a sustainable response to the changing métier needs
- Coordinate with the IT team to build the necessary supporting team to make the MDM system up-to-date with defined process, implementation mechanisms and workflow.
- Ensure the use of MDM across the institution with a consistent data delivery of master and reference data, ensuring alignment across the Organization
- Ensure the policies and processes of MDM are in place and followed by all internal stakeholders to ensure that the necessary interfaces are built.
3. Data Governance
- Define data governance across the ICRC in accordance with the Information Environment Strategy
- Contribute to a Data Governance body including the appropriate stakeholders and ensure clear roles and responsibilities of the body are implemented.
- Contribute to the definition of Data Governance policies, standards and ownership of data assets that are consistent with the institutional directives and strategic initiatives
- Build the coordination mechanisms with the other governance bodies like MDM group and information security board for aligned decisions.
4. Data management Model
- Oversee the current project team in implementing the approved Data management model to bring a standardized approach for data management across the organization.
- Manage the key stakeholders and help in change management in understanding the objectives and the data management model approach.
- Create the blue prints to manage and catalogue the data life cycle
- Drive operational excellence through optimization and efficient utilization of data infrastructure and services.
- Lead and drive the creation of a sustainable and systemic Data Quality Management (DQM) capability, including integration of data stewardship processes
- Develop Key Performance Indicators for the value and measurement of Return on Data investment.
Education and experience required
- An advances University degree in a related field
- At least 10 years progressive team leadership and management of data focused teams with a proven track record of inspiring and leading teams through transformation
- At least 10 years hands-on experience in multiple data technologies and processes such as MDM, data architecture, data modeling, data governance, data quality,
- At least 5 years of leading and driving large enterprise programmes, with strong programme and project management experience
- Experience leading / driving a Data Governance programmes
- Fluent command of English, French a plus.
Desired profile and skills
- Inspiring data expert with exemplary leadership and people management capabilities
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects and leading change management initiatives
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with ability to connect with people at all levels of the organization
- Knowledge on data quality management (DQM) vision, processes and tools
- Strong experience with vendor/contract management, budgeting, and administration
- Good experience in Agile project management methodology
- Location : Geneva
- Activity rate : 100%
- Estimated start date : ASAP
- Application deadline : Sunday, 13th January 2019
- Organization: ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
- Location: Geneva (Switzerland)
- Grade: Senior Executive - Internationally recruited position - Senior Executive level
- Communication and Public Information
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2019-01-13