Laboratory Research Technician
Texcoco (Mexico) | Mexico
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Laboratory Research Technician to work in the Global Wheat Program (GWP).
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, and located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Execute laboratory work as assigned, such as collection, characterization and maintenance of different fungal pathogens, preparation of inoculum for field and greenhouse inoculation, extraction of DNA from fungal and wheat materials, molecular diagnosis with molecular markers, and evaluation for DON contamination.
- Execute greenhouse work as assigned, such as wheat disease experiments at seedling stage (e.g. tan spot and Septoria nodorum blotch) or adult plant stage (e.g. Fusarium head blight, type II resistance), fungal virulence and aggressiveness related experiments, and seed multiplication.
- Participate in wheat pathology related fieldwork when needed, including field inoculation, field disease evaluation, disease affected seeds assessment in warehouse etc.
- Participate in the collection of crop agronomic data, such as flowering date, plant height, lodging, etc. using measuring instruments assigned to the unit.
- Participate in the seed preparation work in warehouse when needed.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s Degree in Plant Pathology or Microbiology or Molecular Biology/Genetics or other relevant discipline.
- Minimum 2 years of performing activities related to lab work.
- Thorough Knowledge on molecular biology and the corresponding lab technics.
- Basic knowledge of administrative and/or operating protocols and procedures of research support function.
- The incumbent is required to have skill and dexterity and should be a responsible observant and careful person with good coordination and physics.
- The selected candidate must adhere to the appropriate security measures.
- Regularly requires a combination of mental abilities such as analysis and careful judgment.
- Intermediate level in English language (English test will be administered; candidate must score a minimum of B2 as per CEFR).
- Sufficient level of usage in MS Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word).
- The candidate must exhibit sense of urgency and commitment to his responsibilities and deadlines.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Multi-cultural awareness/sensitivity, Time Management, Compliance and Problem-solving.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M18247 Laboratory Research Technician. Screening and follow up will begin on Thursday, September 13, 2018. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Karen Luna (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.