Responsible Sourcing and Inclusive Farmer-Market Linkages Specialist
Texcoco (Mexico) | Mexico
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a dynamic, innovative, self-motivated, and service-orientated professional for the position of Responsible Sourcing and Inclusive Farmer-Market Linkages Specialist, at the associate scientist level, to work at the Sustainable Intensification Program (SIP) in Latin America. The position is part of an ambitious strategic research program that generates knowledge to support CIMMYT’s Sustainable Intensification and Responsible Sourcing activities and the development and systematization of Innovative Business Strategies worldwide.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s HQ, located in Texcoco, State of Mexico located at 45 km northeast of Mexico City and occasionally interact with some of CIMMYT´s regional offices (mostly in Latin America). It is estimated about 70% of work in the field with farmers and about 30% of time dedicated to research and systematization.
- Contribute to the promotion and development of innovative models and best practices to connect farmers to markets (including the co-development of a Responsible Sourcing conceptual framework).
- Conduct market and value chain specific mapping exercises through participatory approaches and other primary information sourcing methods.
- Implement proven tools and methodologies to scale up the market participation of selected farmers and farmers groups into target markets (including contributing to set a functional traceability system).
- Evaluate and propose a marketing strategy for quality food products linked to sustainable production and specific geographical origin and/or traditions.
- Assess and select target (especially niche) markets for maize production systems and their associated crops.
- Stimulate and follow up to specific commercial opportunities for target farmers and products.
- Liaise with the appropriate stakeholders in order to support the development of a capacity building strategy related to market literacy, targeting the beneficiaries of the project portfolio of SIP in Latin America.
- Assess and provide advice to farmers and farmers groups on core rural business management areas, such as business models, finance and accounting, contract farming or risk management.
- Liaise with the appropriate stakeholders in order to promote better information channels and the development of decision-making tools to enhance inclusive farmer market linkages.
- Promote partnerships, facilitate dialogue and collaborative work with multiple stakeholders, including research institutes and private sector partners in order to develop and promote adequate post-harvest solutions and related public policies.
- Integrate key learnings from the farmer-market linkages research in CIMMYT’s innovation systems or hubs.
- Support the development of project proposals and fundraising efforts related to Responsible Sourcing and Farmer-Market Linkages.
- In general, collaborate with CIMMYT staff, national and international partners to build integrated approaches to increase the productivity and income generation of maize and wheat farming systems while improving the livelihoods of smallholder farmers.
- Any other related duty as indicated by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD. in a relevant area or a combination of a Master’s Degree with relevant field experience.
- Significant and demonstrated experience in farmer-market linkages academic and field research.
- Excellent data management and analysis skills and a record of scientific publications.
- Extensive experience in work with smallholder farmers in Latin America.
- Experience in capacity development activities targeting farmers and/or technical advisors.
- Computer literacy, with proficiency in the common software packages.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Ability to integrate and synthesize information from different sources.
- Commitment to advances in farm productivity and poverty reduction in the developing world.
- Willingness to spend time away from home (mostly travelling in Mexico).
- Previous experience with CIMMYT and/or the CGIAR would be desirable.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Problem solving, Innovation and creativity, Relationship management, Achievement orientation and Time management.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS18133 Responsible Sourcing and Inclusive Farmer Market Linkages specialist. Screening and follow up will begin on Friday, September 21, 2018. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Ricardo Perez (email@example.com)
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.